Thursday, July 23, 2009

Time Machine

Do you remember the movie "Back to the Future?" Marty McFly is a 17-year-old living in Hill Valley, California. On the morning of Friday, October 25, 1985, his eccentric friend, scientist Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown calls him, asking to meet at 1:15am the following morning at Twin Pines Mall. That night, Marty meets Doc as planned in the parking lot of Twin Pines Mall. Doc presents a DeLorean DMC-12 which he has modified into a time machine. We all wish we had a time machine so that we could fix some of the problems we caused or mistakes we made in the past?" I have to admit having a time machine would be a good thing to have, because I would love to have some "do-over's," if given the chance. I wish I could go back to the night my Dad died. I talked to him for the last time just 2-hours before he died. Wonder what I would have said if I had known those were the last words I would ever speak to him? I wish I could go back to those times that I felt I was too important and too much "in demand" to spend significant time with my kids when they were small. Maybe then I wouldn't feel like I missed so much of their growing up years. I'm sure we could all use a time machine! Unfortunately there is no time machine and our life has no reverse in it; or does it? Jesus says that once we come before Him and confess our sins, He wipes the slate clean. He actually moves our sin and brokenness far from His heart, and looks on us as though we had never sinned. Romans 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Psalms 103:12
As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. A time machine depends on our fixing things that might help us feel better about ourselves. On the other hand, forgiveness leads to transformation of our hearts and lives by giving us a sense of freedom that goes beyond comparison. While "do-over's" would do us good, we need forgiveness more!  We need freedom, not regret! Does anyone have a time machine? No! But I have Jesus and that's much better. That's much different than the time machine idea, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment