Thursday, July 9, 2009

Want to Stop

Some while back my wife, her parents and myself were going to see some of our friends in another state. As we came off the highway there was this large hardware type store. My father-n-law saw it and I could tell he wanted to stop and go in. He loves stuff like that! So I asked him "want to stop and see what's in there?" Then he said this "we will stop next time we are up this way." Do what? It's not like we are up this way together all the time so I stopped. I watched him as he went through the store looking at all the items and asking me if I knew what this and that was. When we got back in the car he said "you can't see all that's in that store in one day, you would have to cut the store in about three sections and take about three days to see it all." He was like a kid at Disney Land, so excited. That reminds me of the story in Acts chapter 3. Here we find a man lame sitting and begging that is all he knew. Every day he was placed by the gate called Beautiful at the temple. Every day was the same, but things were about to change and he didn't know it. This day was different from the days before and his life would never be the same. Read with me to find out what happened Acts 3:1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.

Acts 3:2
And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;

Acts 3:3
Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.

Acts 3:4
And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, look on us.

Acts 3:5
And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.

Acts 3:6
Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Acts 3:7
And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.

Acts 3:8
And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.
He is now walking and leaping and praising God! He is so excited; it reminds me of when someone asks Christ into their life. Things change and they change for the better. Can you still remember when you got a fresh start in life? All your sins gone and gone forever; did you jump, run, leap and praise God? Too many times people are like my father-n-law they say I'll stop the next time we are up this way. Got to be careful thinking like that for in the book of Proverbs we read
Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.
My father-n-law did get to go back to that store a few years later and he was just as excited as he was the time before. Be careful about putting things off for you may not be as fortunate as my father-n-law.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment