Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hero Material

He became our 34th President; his name was Dwight D. Eisenhower. He was a leader, he was a hero in World War II; he knew what it was like to have a tear run down his cheeks for he was a compassionate man. All I know about this man is what I have read for he died in 1961 I was only 11 years old and what does an 11 year know about the Presidents, leader and such as that! When I read about the night before D-Day and what this four star general did reminded me of someone else. Let me explain. It was the night before the attack the General spent it with the men of the 101st Airborne; they called themselves The Screaming Eagles. As his men prepared their planes and checked their equipment, General Eisenhower went from soldier to soldier offering words of encouragement. These men were young enough to be his son and he treated them like they were. As he watched the C-47s take off and disappear into the night his eyes filled with tears. But what this man did next showed what kind of leader he really was. General Eisenhower went to his quarters and sat at his desk, took a pen and paper and wrote these words which would be delivered to the White House in the event of a defeat. "Our landings have failed the troops, the Air, and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches itself to the attempt it was mine alone." Rare leader, most are willing to take credit for the good, some are willing to take the rap for the bad, but few will assume responsibilities for the mistakes of others. Still fewer will accept the blame for mistakes yet uncommitted. As I read about our hero and 34th President I was reminded of another, His name was Jesus, read with me this verse Matthew 20:28
Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
Before the war began He forgave. Before the mistake could be made, forgiveness was offered. Before blame could be given, grace was provided. Dwight D Eisenhower became a hero for his actions. Jesus Christ became our Savior for His actions. As I read about General Eisenhower I could feel and see his compassion for his troops. As I read my bible I can see that long before I knew Jesus Christ as my personal savior He was concerned about me. He had already taken the responsibility of my failures and forgiveness had already been given. Can you for a minute image how those soldiers felt when they read or heard how and what this great General had felt and done on their behalf? When I realized how Jesus must have felt and what Jesus had done for me, He became more than a name, more than a figure in a Bible story. I saw Him in a different light and I wanted to know more about Him for His great love toward me.

Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, (Made alive) who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Ephesians 2:2
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Ephesians 2:3
Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

Ephesians 2:4
But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

Ephesians 2:5
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved ;)

Ephesians 2:6
And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 2:7
That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of
God:

Ephesians 2:9
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
How is our walk?

No comments:

Post a Comment