Friday, August 7, 2009

What did you say it was Worth

I carry a green card! What is a green card? Many people have moved here to the United States but they keep their citizenship with their home country. They are required to carry a visitor registration card called a "green card," which allows them to work here even though they aren't citizens. I have a spiritual green card which reminds me that my citizenship is in heaven. Therefore I must never forget two truths: First, compared with eternity, life is extremely brief. Second, earth is only a temporary residence. I won't be here long, so I don't want to get too attached. Psalms 39:4
LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am.
I have come to the conclusion my identity is in eternity, and my homeland is heaven. I don't need to be worrying about having it all on earth for there is a danger of living for the here and now and adopting the values, priorities, and the lifestyles of this world around me. Think for a moment; what if you were asked to be an ambassador to an enemy nation by our country. If you agreed to, you would more than likely have to learn a new language and adapt to some customs and cultural differences so that you could be polite and accomplish your mission. As an ambassador you would not be able to isolate yourself from the enemy. To fulfill your mission, you would have to have contact and relate to them. But let's suppose you became so comfortable with this foreign country that you fell in love with it, preferring it to your homeland. Your loyalty and commitment would change. Your role as an ambassador would be compromised. Instead of representing your home country, you would start acting like the enemy. You'd be a traitor. Too many of God's children have concluded that because they live on earth, it's their home. The Bible is very clear on this matter 2Corinthians 5:20
Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, Hebrews 11:13
These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

God warns us not to get too attached to what's only temporary. We are warned three times about this matter of gaining and losing the most value thing to us.
Matthew 16:26
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Is there a price tag on your soul?

Mark 8:36
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Luke 9:25
For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?

Be careful that you don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul the reason for not doing so is found in 1John 2:17
And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
You might be saying I understand all of that but why do I experience circumstances that seem unfair and prayers that seem unanswered? Could it be that our Heavenly Father doesn't want us to get too attached to earth? So He allows us to feel discontent. Earth is not our final home; we were created for something much better. A fish would never be happy living on land, because it was made for the water. An eagle could never feel satisfied if it wasn't allowed to fly. You, my friend should never feel completely satisfied on earth because we were made for something far better. This is temporary, heaven is permanent. You will not be in heaven two seconds before you say "why did I place so much importance on things that were so temporary?

No comments:

Post a Comment