Tuesday, September 22, 2009

She Was a Nut

When I was 12 there was a lady that lived four doors down and every time I would see her she would be talking to herself. It made no difference, I could see her driving down the road and she was just a talking and there was no one in the car with her. One day I went to her front door to see if her son was home and she was in the kitchen just a talking, but there was no one there but her. I always thought she was a nut and so did all the other kids on the block. But I was reading my Bible on yesterday morning and I discovered something that brought her to my mind; and I haven't thought about her talking to herself in years. But the Bible tells us to talk to ourselves; that's right it does! Ephesians 5:19
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
It doesn't just say Speaking to yourselves it also tells us to Sing to ourselves. What will speaking and singing to ourselves produce? Melody in our hearts! That word "melody" is an interesting word Webster says it means an agreeable succession of sounds; a succession of sounds so regulated and modulated as to please the ear. Melody differs from harmony; harmony consists in the accordance of different voices or sounds. Melody is agreeable succession and modulation of sounds by a single voice. That means I can be riding down the highway speaking to myself and singing to myself and at the same time no matter how awful I sound or how crazy I look I am making melody in my heart unto the Lord. Who said I couldn't sing? It doesn't matter as long as I am making melody to the Lord with my heart. You did notice that didn't you? It said heart and not head or mind. The Lord wanted us to get this concept because He told us twice read Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. If you get melody in your heart you know what else that will produce? "A Merry Heart" and you know a merry heart will do good like a medicine Proverbs 17:22
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine:
Sad to say that the verse doesn't stop there it tells us what will happen to us if we don't have a merry heart..
but a broken spirit drieth the bones.
{Depression drains one's strength}
When things go wrong and they will, just start talking to yourself in psalms and hymn and spiritual songs and then before long you will find yourself singing to yourself and before long the sweet melody will come. Before you know it your heart will be merry and your troubles will have left because you are not focused on you and your problems you are now focused on the Lord and His greatness and in Him there is happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment