Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Ham

We had decided to go to a children's home and give gifts to those who had no family to share with at Christmas time. My wife and I decided to not buy each other anything for Christmas and buy for those kids; we did and had a wonderful time that night. As I was back in the kitchen getting ready to leave I was asked if I would like to have some ham; I said no I don't want to take away your food. I was then told that they had plenty and wanted me to have some; I said ok. It was then I noticed something different happening there was a quick look and a nod and all of a sudden I looked out the window and a pickup truck had pulled alongside of my van. The rear door was opened as they began to load hams into my van. I had to stop them saying what am I going to do with all those hams, to which I was told that I could give them to those who needed them. As I drove home that night I began to think what I could do with all those hams and here is what I came up with. There was a place in town where drugs were sold, a liquor store on the corner a pool hall in another building behind the liquor store. I thought what a great place to give those hams away; we'll go and sing and preach and give hams away and many agreed. But as we got closer and closer to the night there were those who were giving that idea a second thought and when that night came there were only a few who were still wanting to go. We met and loaded up the ham which we had cut and put into smaller packages; the sky was getting darker and darker and rain was soon to fall. Off we went; as we arrived the rain had began to lightly fall and the car came to a stop I jumped out and ran into the pool hall before anyone else could get out of the car. No one knew where I had gone; when they found me I was in the pool hall telling everyone to come outside we had some ham we wanted to give them. The man who was running the pool hall said it's raining outside why don't you just come in here. I told him we were going to sing some songs and have a short message from God's Word; he said that will be fine. He then began to unplug the video games and we jumped at the opportunity. We sang some songs and preached a short message about the Birth of Christ; I can't tell you all that happened that night because it is too much to tell in such a short space. When we finished there we went on to the liquor store and gave out more ham. We then started down the street knocking on doors giving the ham away until it was all gone. Why did I tell you that? No, it was not to let you know how God protected me that night; it's a wonder I wasn't beaten up that night. If we are not careful we forget about those who live in a different world those who have given their lives over to drugs and drink and dwell in the dark side of town. Jesus came to seek and save that which was lost. As I read my Bible it was not the religious who came to Jesus it was those who were blind, deaf, lame and sick. There was the woman at the well who was ashamed of her life so much so that she came to draw water when no one was at the well. You see Jesus doesn't care where we are rich or poor sick or healthy all He wants is for you and I to see we need Him and He will forgive us. Act 10:34
Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

Rom 2:11
For there is no respect of persons with God.

Luke 19:10
For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
There it is before anyone can be found they must see they are lost and there my friend is where Jesus comes in. As we went that night to a place others refused to go we not only left them with ham and a Merry Christmas but with the Gospel of Jesus Christ which they really needed to hear. Wish someone a Merry Christmas who really needs to hear you say it to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment