Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Riches

We live in one if not the wealthiest country in the world but yet people everywhere are not happy. They want more and more. I hear people say "I don't have any problems that more money will not solve" "If I could just find a way to make lots of money" and I hear this one a lot "if I could just win the lottery then all my problems would be solved." Then on the radio and T.V. we hear things like you can't win if you don't play; now that is true but what they forget to tell you is that the chances of you winning is next to none. Wonder what would happen if they said we want you to play the lottery but in doing so remember you will more than likely not win the big prize. I got behind a man in a store not long ago as he was buying lotto tickets; he went outside to scratch off the winning ticket. As I was walking out of the store he was on his way back into the store. I asked him if he had just become rich; his answer was "I am if $3.00 makes me rich". Back into the store he went to cash in his ticket only to use his winnings on another ticket which found its self in the trash with all the rest. Proverbs 23:5
Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? For riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.
You may still have the idea that if I could just win life would be different; would it? I have never won anything in my life so I couldn't answer that. I went on line to see how the winners were doing and let them answer that question; here's what I found. Bankrupt ex-lottery millionaire William "Bud" Post III dies of respiratory failure in Seneca, Pennsylvania. Post had won $16.2 million in the Pennsylvania lottery on February 24, 1988. From a 1993 interview: "Everybody dreams of winning money, but nobody realizes the nightmares that come out of the woodwork, or the problems." Do what! Bankrupt millionaire how could you bankrupt with 16.2 million dollars? I guess the Bible is right again for riches certainly make themselves wings and they do fly away. I know what you are thinking that would not happen to me and you may be right. You may not bankrupt but there are other things that have happened to those lucky lotto winners. Michael Allen is clubbed to death in a Lewiston, Maine motel room. Billie Bob Harrell, Jr. commits suicide. In June 1997, Harrell won $31 million in the Texas state lottery. Having spent his $10 million prize in just seven years, Winnipeg lottery winner Gerald Muswagon hangs himself. Well I would say that riches didn't make these people very happy at all. Oh no, you see I would give to those who have not; really! Then let me ask you how much are you giving them now? If your answer was nothing then why do you think your heart will change? I think I will just look to my Bible to see what will make me or anyone else happy.

The
Labor of our hands will make us happy

Psalms 128:2

For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee.

Our Family will make us happy
Psalms 127:5

Happy
is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.
This verse is talking about our children and my children have made me very happy.

Wisdom and Understanding will make us Happy
Proverbs 3:13
Happy
is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

I like what Jesus said
John 13:17
If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

I love what the maker of mankind has to say about His creation He made us and He knows what makes us happy all you and I have to do is to starting listening and reading what He has written down for us. The writer of the book of Hebrews put it this way Hebrews 13:5
Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Now go do the things that will make you happy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment