Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Rubble

When I was a boy I can remember my dad taking my brother and I to Church on Sunday nights and from time to time we would sing a hymn called "Rescue the Perishing." The words were "Rescue the perishing, care for the dying, snatch them in pity from sin and the grave; Weep oer the erring one, lift up the fallen, tell them of Jesus the mighty to save." Then the chorus "Rescue the perishing care for the dying Jesus I merciful, Jesus will save." That's a job every Christian should be busy at "Rescuing!" What if you were one of those that were trapped in the rubble of the World Trade Center on that September eleventh day would you have been glad to hear voices of a rescue team? I'm sure you would have; I know I would have. There were men and women who risked everything to bring others out from under the rubble and restore them back to their family and friends. There was no way unless someone took the risk so that others could be rescued. The Bible tells us that Jesus came to seek and to save; here read it for yourself for Jesus did take the risk. Luke 19:10
For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
The beauty is that Jesus came seeking willing to rescue those that were lost. What if you had been trapped under huge piles of rubble and then you saw light and men and women digging down to where you were. What if you yelled out and said please go away I can do this on my own! But you say I wouldn't have done that! No! The reason you would not have done that is because you realized that without a rescuer you were hopeless. The problem today is that people don't see that they are hopeless and therefore don't see the need to be rescued. Many think if they could just win the lottery, then they would be rescued. But that's not so. In the verse we just read before Jesus could rescue, something had to take place and that is the person had to see they were lost. In Ephesians 2:12 we read these words …..
Having no hope, and without God in the world:
No God! No Hope! So that night many years ago when Jesus was born in Bethlehem not only did this world get hope and help but we received a rescuer that can rescue a whole world from the awful disease of sin. So the next time someone is trying to introduce you to the Rescuer don't stick your head in the sand, receive Him joyfully and you my friend will never be sorry. Just as those that grabbed hold of a fireman's hand that was rescuing them from the rubble on that awful day on September 11; I have never heard one of them say "I sure wish that fireman hadn't come along." Oh no they were very grateful and you will be too.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment