Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Run Man Run

On yesterday we talked about being in Him and I closed with the question "what do you do when troubles come?" I gave you the answer "Run" now I want to explain what I meant. In the book of Proverbs there are three verses that jumped out at me; here they are:

Pro 18:10
The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

Pro 18:11
The rich man's wealth is his strong city, and as an high wall in his own conceit. {Imagination}

Pro 18:12
Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is humility.

What does all that mean? When I was a teenager I was approached by a huge fellow who wanted to beat on my little head in, so I did what first came to my mind and that was get to safety and I did; I ran as fast as I could to my car and locked myself inside. I had speed because I wasn't huge and I also had long legs which allowed me to run fast. Call me whatever you like chicken or frightened and you would be right for I was all of those and more. But I was safe locked in my car. I wish I could say that was the last time I saw that young man but I can remember two other times I out ran him. I told you that to tell you that I am still running; not from the same huge fellow but from an even bigger enemy than he. But now I'm not running and locking myself inside a car I am running to a tower and I don't even check to see if the door is locked. The Name of the Lord is a strong tower; Webster says a tower is a building, either round or square, raised to a considerable elevation and consisting of several stories. When towers are erected with other buildings, as they usually are, they rise above the main edifice. They are generally flat on the top, and thus differ from steeples or spires. Before the invention of guns, places were fortified with towers and attacked with movable towers mounted on wheels, which placed the besiegers on a level with the walls. So I take this to mean that when troubles come that I, as a child of God can run to Him with all my sorrow and grief for protection because we are told that there is safety in the Lord who is our strong tower. The rich man has or thinks his wealth is his strong city. A city in itself has no protection for in order to protect a city walls, gates, bulwarks and motes must be built. Then at the close of that verse (11) the word conceit is used which means.
Conception; that which is conceived, imagined, or formed in the mind; idea; thought; image.
So the rich run into their paper tower for safety only to find out to late that it could never protect them. In the next verse we discover what happened before destruction. We are told that before destruction man's heart gets haughty
(Proud and disdainful; having a high opinion of one's self, with some contempt for others; lofty and arrogant; supercilious.)
So the heart of the haughty man never finds out what honor is for he refuses to be humble. He may think that it shows weakness but if we are to be safe we must learn to run to the Lord our strong tower and not to depend on ourselves our talents, our wealth, our abilities for they will surely lead to our demise. Think I'll just keep running, it seems to be the only way to safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment