Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Making a Difference

On yesterday I wrote about being proud and an attitude of being the best. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be the best, we should all want that. The problem comes when we express ourselves as the best that's a wrong attitude. I think we would like to make a difference in the lives of others and I am sure we would all like to see changes. With that thought in mind, read this story of someone who was very good at what they did and how they made a big change in another life which in turn changed many others. During a lunch break one day, most of the 8th graders were gathered in groups, talking and playing. This one boy - a student who suffered from severe physical disabilities and was new to the school - was off by himself as usual. He was painfully shy. A teacher noticed another boy - one of the most popular kids in school, a great athlete - leave a group of the "in crowd" boys and walked over to this lone student. The teacher over heard the athlete ask the other boy if he'd like to play catch. That disabled boy said no one liked to play with him and that he was afraid he would mess up and the others would laugh at him. With his impaired vision and his thick glasses, he could barely see the ball. The athlete assured him, "Hey, it's OK to mess up. We all do." So they began to play catch. When some of the other students saw that Mr. Athlete had included the other boy, they came over to join and play. They made sure he could catch their passes; they made him part of the group all during the lunch break. The teacher said, "It was the kindest thing I've witnessed in 28 years as a school teacher." One small act of kindness changed another. Wonder how many times we think we are too good or we just will not lower ourselves to stoop to someone else's level or just said we don't have the time. You and I could make a major difference in another's life someone that needs a kind word or just a touch of kindness. Isn't that what Jesus did time after time, over and over again? There was a woman in John chapter 4 and because of her life style came to the well to draw water when she knew no one else would be there. On this day Jesus was there and what did He do? He showed kindness to her and asked questions and before long His kind words and touch changed her life eternally.

John 4:28
The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men,

John 4:29
Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?
It didn't matter; He touched the blind, the deaf, dead and those who had the incurable disease, leprosy. Every time He changed their lives. Now you and I can't make the blind to see, the deaf to hear nor can we raise the dead or cure the incurable. But we can touch others not by complaining, criticizing or condemning but by a small word of complement and encouraging word a pat on the back by taking the time to notice others and helping them where we can. They are all around you and I every day, you may have met one today that may have said something like this "if I was any better I would be twins." If we stay focused on what we are doing and never see that one sitting all alone and out of touch. Every day they have lunch by themselves and no friends and most think they are strange. Sure we are in the in crowd or so we think; and who really cares if others are hurting? Just as long as I can keep from doing so myself!

Why not make a new friend do something different and step out of the box and see if you can make a difference in another man, woman, boy or girls life. I remember years ago I was picked to be a captain of a softball team. These kids had been playing for some time and this one team had managed to get all the good players. I said let's make new teams and they soon agreed. Their captain would pick a good player and I would pick a sorry player and when it was all done I had all the so called sorry players and the other team had all the so called good players. All I heard was we are going to get killed they have got all the good players. I said I don't think so! The other team had first bat; I always like to have last bat. All I heard was complaining and how bad they were going to lose; I don't like complaining and sure don't like to lose. I begin to encourage and point out the good things and patting them on the back and saying kind words to them and before long we were only behind by two runs. We were losing when we came in for our last bat; that is when you have the biggest advantage for there is no more chance for the other team to score. Well the so called sorry players won and on that day those boys and girls walked off the field with more than a game won they left that day with the impossible becoming I'm possible. Which reminds me what the Apostle Paul said

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. And David Psalms 121:2
My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.
Where did you say your strength and help comes from?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment