Monday, July 19, 2010

You Can’t

The name John Baker may or may not mean a thing to you. He was a young man that had a desire to be a runner for his high school track team. Unfortunately John was too short, frail and flimsy lacking strength and the chances of him making the team were slim to say the least. Now what John Baker had going for him was that his friend John Haaland was a tall and promising runner and heavily recruited by the track coach. The problem was that John Haaland wanted nothing to do with the sport. John Baker convinced the track coach to let him join the team by telling him his best friend John Haaland would follow. The coach agreed and John Baker became a runner. The team's first meet was a 1.7 mile cross country race; the reigning state champion was running and favored to win and all eyes were on him. The race began and the pack of runners led by the state champion disappeared behind the hill. As the spectators waited, a silhouette of a single runner appeared. All assumed that it was the favored state champion. No! It was and to everyone's amazement, John Baker leading the way to the finish line. In his first meet, he blew away the field and set a new meet record. Who is it that has told you that you can't do what your heart tells you that you can? The new records that could be made are not being made simply because you have believed those who have told you that it's not possible for you to achieve your heart's desire. The sad thing about it is you haven't even tried! My question to those that have taken it upon themselves to tell others they can't is who do they think they are? What credentials do they possess to tell you what you are capable or not capable of doing? If you fail do it on your own not on the advice of another.

Ecclesiastes 9:11
I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. John Baker was a young man that made an impact in my life whom I never knew.

When you tell me I can't and my heart tells me I can I will take that over your words. If I fail, I fail but it will not be because I didn't try. I love what Queen Esther said as she went before the King for her people

Esther 4:16
Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish. She used the personal pronoun "I" it's not someone else that told her she could or couldn't do it, it was her doing it with the attitude of if I die I die. Quit believing what others are telling you that you can't do and make your own footprints in the snow. Have a great week and don't let others tell you that you aren't able, let them speak for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment