Tuesday, September 7, 2010

7-Things

The other day I was on my way home when my wife called me and asked me if I would stop by the store and pick up a few things. I can remember a few things. Now, if it is a couple of things, I can remember them. However, if it is more than a couple of things, I am going to forget and I will end up coming home without all she asked me to pick up. Now, there have been other times when she said make you a list so you will not forget. What the list is for is when I get in the store and my mind is caught by all the other things I would love to purchase that I can keep focused on what I am there for. In the book of Proverbs and in chapter 6 verse 16 it reads like this, These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:. This is very interesting and the question might be asked "are there only 7 things disgusting to the Lord"? No, but the Lord wants us to be sure about these 7. What if the text read, "There are 6,000 things the Lord hates, actually 7,000 that are an abomination unto Him?" We might say Seven thousand! This may lead us to an attitude which causes us to feel, I'll never please Him. So, He says how about seven? Let us start with these. These seven, Solomon says, the Lord hates. The Lord despises these actions and attitudes, calling them abominations! The word abomination means "morally repulsive." Does this mean that the Lord considers these seven sins more repulsive than other sins? No, all sin is an abomination to God. Sin is sin and what I understand about this verse is that this is a Hebrew expression that implies that the list is not exhaustive. The very first thing that is on the list is A proud look
Proverb 6:17.
Have you ever had any one who looked down their nose at you? They do this for many reasons I am sure, but the main one is they think they are more intelligent than you. Not long ago a young lady treated me with this attitude. She asked if she could talk with me a moment to which I said sure. We were not long into the conversation when I saw what she was doing; she was looking down her nose at me. Did that brother me? No! I am thankful for my college education and I have never used it to look down on anyone; what good would that do or prove. If you read my blog you will quickly notice that I write simple and when you finish you know what I have said. I learned that from our President, Ronald Regan; he said he wrote all his speeches on an eighth grade level for he wanted people to understand what he was saying. Why waste my time and yours writing so you can't understand what I am trying to say, that's worthless. That proud look is our "PRIDE" and it gets in our way. The Lord says He doesn't like it and He wants you and I too learn how to become more humble. In the rest of verse 17 and then the next two verses He spends talking about our Tongue, our Hands, our Hearts, our Feet, our False Witness and Spreading Conflict among others, namely our brothers. We have the ability to either sow the seeds that bring a harvest of blessing or we can also sow slander and have a harvest of bitter hurt. We have the opportunity to demonstrate a humble spirit rather than a proud look. We can turn our lying tongue into telling the truth, from hands that hurt to helping hands, from a heart that plans wickedness to a heart that plans wholesome deeds. Instead of feet that race toward perversion we have feet that are running for the prize of the high calling which is in Christ Jesus. Instead of lying learn to live in the truth. Lastly when others see you coming instead of them seeing the bitterness and discord coming from you as they have in the past make it a new day and let them see words of kindness and blessings with praise of thanksgiving coming from your lips. God hated to see you and I give into these 7 attitudes which are deadly sins. Have a good day and be careful how you let others see you and remember God is always watching you.

No comments:

Post a Comment