Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Know

Proverbs 1:2  To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive (to distinguish) the words of understanding;
As I read that verse the word “know” jumped out at me. I am sure that you like me have ran across people who were know it all’s. Ask them anything and yes they have an answer; may not be the right answer but they have one none the less.  I thought I understood what that word meant and I still think I do, but I will say I have seen it in a little different light.  Strong says the word “know” carries these meanings; Observation, Recognition and Punishment. I get wisdom by Observation; by taking notice of something or someone. I get wisdom by recognizing my mistakes and correcting them. I get wisdom by being punished for my wrong doings.  You see discipline always helps me to be able to observe and recognize much better; let me explain. When I was much younger than I am today I told a lie to my mother so I could go somewhere with my Dad. It was Friday after school and my mother asked if I had brought my spelling book home so that I could learn my spelling words for next week. I had brought it home and it was in my book bag; but I told her no! I had forgotten and left it at school. Well she made such a big deal out of it I just let it be and when things were cooled down I asked if I could go with my Dad and she said yes. Off we go and I was having the best of fun when all of a sudden I remembered something; MY SPELLING BOOK it was still in my book bag; need I tell you the fun stopped and all I could think about was that spelling book. I tried to comfort myself by telling myself that my mother as nosy as she was would not look in my book bag; WRONG!  When we got back home my mother looked at my Dad and began to tell him about the spelling book that she had found while we were gone and how that I had told them both a big fat lie. At that point my Dad walked me down the hall to my bedroom and shut the door; I hate to even think about it to this day for I still can fill the pain. I knew that day that my Dad was a strong believer in the Bible and that he also belived in time out.
Proverbs 23:13  Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. That day my Dad didn’t withhold the correction and I didn’t die from the rod of correction. Oh the time out; he stopped long enough to catch his breath and then went right back to the not withholding. On that day I learned how to observe and recognize lying by the punishment administered to me on that day; I KNOW the difference and to always tell the truth. May I say one more thing about “know” Christ is the Word and the Wisdom of God, and He will help you and I to know wisdom (Christ) even if He must punish us. 
Hebrews 12:8  But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

1 comment:

  1. Wow thank you. That was the one thing I never learned till I met the Saviour...I lied about everything and I was brought up in a Christian family where the rod was never spared, but I was so rebellious that all it did was hardened my heart even more. I am so thankful now that I met Jesus! I have a long way to go, but I thank Him for I am not what I used to be even though I am not where I ought to be!

    ReplyDelete