Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Honor

 As I was at Church this past Sunday morning my pastor was on a needed vacation with his family. A young preacher of whom I think the world of was given the opportunity to preach. He was preaching on the family and in his message he said something that the Lord used to speak to me about and I would like to share that with you this morning. I want to talk about the word “honor.” Merriam and Webster say the word “honor” means good name or public esteem or reputation; a showing of respect, recognition especially as a title for a holder of high office; one whose worth brings respect or fame. The Bible tells us to honor our parents.
Exodus 20:12  Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
We are to honor our parents but the Apostle tells us that this is the first commandment with promise
Ephesians 6:2  Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) Want to live a long life then honor your parents. We are also told to honor all men, the king and in our case our President.
1Peter 2:17  Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.
 To our wife
1Peter 3:7  Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
We are to give honor and show respect for those who hold high office, our boss, our senators, our church leaders, Pastor, Deacons and so on. I think you get the picture; we are to honor and show respect and rightfully so. Wait a minute would it not be better for you and I if that person or persons holding the office of President, Parent or Pastor were worthy of that honor? We are not told that we have to like our President, Parent or Pastor but to honor them. It is far better if those holding those offices were worthy of that honor. I love my mother she now lives with my wife and I and I honor her but you know what she is worthy of that honor. You have them in your life too, there are those you honor because of their office and then there are those you honor who are worthy of honor. There’s a big difference. As a parent I want my children to honor me because I am worthy of that honor. As a minister I want to be worthy of that honor. As a grandparent I want to be worthy of that honor. As a leader I want to be worthy of that honor, as a boss I want to be worthy of that honor. Do you really want to be honored because of your position or of who you really are? You can be a hard task master; they honored Pharaoh but they didn’t like him. Remember you can be honored for who you are but it is far better to be worthy of that honor.  Proverbs 18:21  Death and life are in the power of the tongue: So use your tongue wisely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment