Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dishonesty


Has anyone ever been dishonest with you? I remember many years ago I went looking to buy a car. I was stationed in Duluth, Minnesota and it gets cold up there. On this day the weather wasn’t real bad and after looking for a short while( the first place I stopped) I found a car. I told the man that I would be back in a few days to buy the car, he agreed and off I went to get the money. In a few days I returned just like I said with the money but on this day the weather had really turned cold and the car would not start. After pulling it around the block for about 10 minutes, it refused to start and I decided not to buy that car. The car salesman began to explain to me about the great deal I was letting slip through my hands; he used the phrase, a cherry of a deal. The car was a piece of junk and the man was not being honest with me at all, as a matter of fact he was being dishonest with me. The word dishonesty means  lack of honesty or integrity : disposition to defraud or deceive. I read a survey that stated that more people say they have cheated on their marriage partners than on their tax returns or expense accounts. It went on to say that more than half say if their tax returns were audited, they would probably owe the government money. Nearly half predict that if they scratched another car in the parking lot, they would drive away without leaving a note. Is it that we just don’t like the truth? I can remember not telling the truth because I thought that a lie would be better. The only problem with that is I would have to cover one lie up with another and before long I would forget what lies I had told. The truth is never like that at all, the truth is the truth and you don’t have to tell one truth and then cover it up with another truth. 
John 8:31  Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
John 8:32  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
If you know the truth the truth will make you free but too many times we tolerate dishonesty and for what? More money out of a bad deal, we flatter the boss, we exaggerate the truth and a bunch of other things but it all boils down to lies and being dishonest. The business man who fixes something that’s not broke, the repair man replaces a part that does not need replacing, the car salesman who sales a car knowing it has problems but makes out like it is in tip top shape. It is all being dishonest and not telling the truth. Remember it’s the truth that makes free and if we are going to be made free we will have to be truthful about everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment