Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Understanding

 When my oldest son was in college he would drive 120 miles a day to go to his classes. When he would come home he would go straight to his room and would spend the rest of the day studying. He did this for 6-years; one day I asked him why he spent so much time studying. I remember clearly what his answer was he said “Dad, I not only want to know how it works but I want to understand how it works.”  He graduated with honors and I was and still am proud of him for he has taught me so much. As I was reading the other day in Proverbs chapter 6 there was something that just jumped out at me. In verse 30 I read Men do not despise (to have the lowest opinion of)  a thief, if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is hungry;
If a person steals to satisfy their hunger we don’t have a low opinion of them, but the next verse tells us what will happen to him if he is caught.
Proverbs 6:31 But if he be found, he shall restore sevenfold; he shall give all the substance of his house. 
Yes, there is a discipline for wrong actions. The next verse shows someone that doesn’t understand what he is doing and the discipline for that is destruction of his own soul.
Proverbs 6:32 But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul.
  We see something a bit different than the man that was stealing food. We are told one that commits adultery destroys his own soul and the reason is that he lacks understanding. The word understanding shows up again in Chapter 7
Proverbs 7:7 And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,
Here we see a young man void of understanding; oh my what is going to happen to this young man?  This young man is void of understanding because he hasn’t kept God’s word in his heart
Proverbs 7:1 My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
Proverbs 7:2 Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
God’s word would have kept this young man from falling into the trap which the strange woman so carefully set for him. Look at the first trap that was set for him by this strange woman.
Proverbs 7:5 That they (God’s Word)  may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.
The first trap she set is flattery with her words. The next trap is with her dress. 
Proverbs 7:10 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.
The third trap that is set she throws herself on him.
Proverbs 7:13 So she caught him, and kissed him, and with an impudent face said unto him,
Proverbs 7:21 With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him.
She entices him to come to her home. It wasn’t easy but with much fair speech she caused him to yield which tells me he must have known it was wrong in the first place and at last his life has been forever damaged. The warning is always listen and don’t let your body do what your heart says is wrong. This man yielded because he didn’t understand the danger until it was too late. This man, like you and I could have avoided these traps from the enemy if he would have just hid Gods Word in his hearts.
Psalms 119:9   Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
Psalms 119:10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
We learn what to do, then we start to understand and with understanding we will avoid many pitfalls. Just put God's Word in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment