Thursday, February 16, 2012

Uncle Sam


There he was on the side of the road dressed in his Uncle Sam costume waving his tax sign. About 50 foot away was another Uncle Sam waving; no he was not waving he was doing something else altogether with his sign. His sign had become and air guitar and he was playing as if he we on a stage with 5000 fans jumping up and down. The only problem with that is there were no fans just passing cars; you may have missed the first Uncle Sam but no one was missing the second one. The music he was playing was silent to all that passed by, his guitar was invisible, it was only a sign turned sideways. Paul said in
1Corinthians 9:26  I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: What is Paul talking about? My Pastor of long ago taught me that every time you see the word “therefore” see what it’s therefore. Great advice, if we back up a few verses we can easily see why it’s there.
1Corinthians 9:24  Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.  Paul says don’t you know that the runners in a race are all running to receive the prize. So we as Christians should do the same thing that we obtain.
1Corinthians 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. And every one of the runners wants to be the winner and they are all running to obtain a corruptible prize. So I myself run, but I’m not running without a clear goal ahead of me so I box, but I’m not shadow boxing; I’m not just beating the air. Or in other words I’m not playing a guitar sign that makes no noise. Paul says I’m running with cheerfulness and swiftness looking to Jesus continuing in my faith and duty as a Christian preaching the Gospel. Paul says I’m not wasting my time beating the air fighting shadows, instead I fighting real enemies my worldly desires and my fleshly lust that I may be a winner. Could it be that too many just say oh well I tried and I guess that’s just the way I am? Sure we were all born with sinful desires like selfishness, anger, doubt, loose tongues and the list could go on and on, but Paul says we are to fight against those things on a daily bases. I have noticed runners in a race and not one time have I seen them making fun of the one running next to them. They are not there to make fun they are there to run the race that is before them. There are things about all of us that someone can make light of but we must remember that we are not here to make fun of each other, but to run the race that is set before us. Are you ready to run or make an excuse why you can’t run; don’t you want to be as Paul said one that obtains? Then run!
Hebrews 12:1  Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Hebrews 12:2  Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment