Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Doubt


Doubt-  A fluctuation of mind respecting truth or propriety, arising from defect of knowledge or evidence; uncertainty of mind; suspense; unsettled state of opinion; 
Doubt is an unsteadiness of the mind in respect to truth. There are some things that look so real to the eye but the mind will say that it’s impossible. One night I was watching David Copperfield and it appeared that he caused the Statue of Liberty to disappear. To the eyes the Statue was gone but the mind says wait that Statues is 305 feet tall and weighs 450 thousand pounds it’s not what it appears. Now I don’t know how in the world that Magician in front of 200 people caused an illusion such as that, but he did. Doubt; an unsteadiness of the mind in respect to truth. Now let’s think about that unsteadiness for a moment. We read of great men in the Bible that God used greatly and had good things to say about them. Like Job;
Job 1:1  There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed (avoided) evil.
Job 1:8  And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
Here we see a man that feared God and avoided evil.  God Himself said so but there was a day that Job got unsteady in his belief and cried out:
Job 23:3  Oh that I knew where I might find him! that I might come even to his seat!
Then there was John the Baptist that said this;
Matthew 11:2  Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples,
Matthew 11:3  And said unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?
We might not like to admit it but there has more than likely come a time in all of our lives that we doubted our beliefs and believed our doubts. We can have that self-pity party. You know the ones where we cry to ourselves why me! I have them from time to time myself. Every time I begin to have one of those real good self-pity parties here comes my wife and just destroys it for me; I mean she just wrecks it. The bad part about it is after she reveals the truth I feel bad that I was even thinking like that, let alone trying to get her to get a hat and horn. It is verses like we have just read that reveal to me that there were others and are others that from time to time had the same troubles and look how God used them. God not only loves you and I He likes us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment