Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Gotten Use Too


I went to visit some friends that lived near a heavy industrial area where the mills filled the air with a shall we say very distinctive aroma. It was of a sulphur-like, rotten egg type of odour. When I asked what the odor was? They said what odor? They had lived around the stink so long; it just didn't register with them anymore
I started thinking about how many things have we just gotten use too? It may bother others but not us. My father-n-law told me one time that his mother told him not to go to a certain place, but he went anyways. I'm sure you or I never did anything like that. Anyways he got that Georgia mud all over his clothes and he started trying to get it off. He was able get a lot of it off. He went home only to have to answer the question from his mother, “Did you go where I told you not to?” He couldn't understand how she knew so he asked her; she said, “You had mud all over you.” He said I had gotten so much of that mud off and thought to myself I looked so much better than I did that my mother would never know. So what's going on in our lives that we have just gotten use to?
There's a man we find in John Chapter 5. We find him in Jerusalem by the sheep market at a pool called Bethesda. Now around that pool there are laying a great multitude of people and they all have health problems. Some were blind, some lame and some paralyzed. They were all there for the same reason at a certain season. An angel troubled the waters and the first one in was made whole. There was a man who had been there for the last thirty eight years waiting his turn. Thirty eight years and he was still waiting? I'm afraid that he had just gotten use to being sick, use to being helpless, gotten use to being useless. Could it be we too get use to things and do not try to change anything? Wait, what's this? It's Jesus and what is He saying;
John 5:6 When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case , he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole? Are you just happy being use to all that's around you? The same Jesus that changed this man can and will change each and every one of us. The question is do you want it or are you just use to the stink that’s around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment