Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Life

I ran across an article that said "will you see your 80th birthday?" There was a quiz to take to see if it were possible that I might live to be that age. So I took the quiz and when I finished and got the results I was disappointed for the result page would be the same no matter how I answered the questions. I, like you want to live as long as possible but I am reminded of what my Dad told me after having some heart problems. In October of 1986 he was taken to the hospital after having some problems with his heart. As he laid there in ICU he told me my days are numbered; to which I said so are mine. He said I know but mine are very short! I would love to see all my grandchildren grown and married but that is not going to be possible and he was right for he only lived a little over two months; two days after Christmas about 10:30pm he was gone at the age of 65. I am reminded of what the Bible tells us in:

Psalms 90:10
The days of our years are threescore years and ten;

(70)
and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years,
(80)
yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.


Psalms 90:12

So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

There is a possibility you and I could live to be 70 years old, and if we live healthy it is possible to live to be 80 or more. The older we get the slower we become and the more we hurt and the weaker we become. In verse 12 we are told to number our day that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. In other words don't get so busy that you forget that your days are numbered that the day of your death will arrive too soon. We could die in a nursing home or of some disease, we could die slowly or suddenly, we could die in an accident but the bottom line is we are all going to die. We should all be smart enough to realize that; but here is the problem we don't think it will be today and we think we have plenty of time. Wait a minute, our days are numbered and we are warned to apply our hearts unto wisdom and thinking we have plenty of time is not applying our hearts unto wisdom. So what if I live to be 80 years old and I can't see, walk or hear and lose my mind and don't know who I am or know my family at all. Is that what I want? No, it's not! That is not the way it will end up; it may be true that all the above will happen to me, but there is a little more to it than that. There has been a much brighter hope placed in my heart than just living to be 80 or so for that is not a sure thing anyways. Read what the Apostle Paul had to say in

1Corinthians 15:19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. Do what? If we have hope in Christ in this life only we are miserable? If our hope is just in Christ in this life what is out hope about eternity? Paul tells he has a hope much stronger than in just this life

2Corinthians 5:8
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
He says he is certain that when his life is over he will be in the presence of the Lord. Knowing that makes him sure and stead fast and not miserable. So it should be with you and I for our days like Paul's are numbered
be sure not to let your numbered day get by you without accepting what the Lord has done and will do for His Children. Ask HIM today to forgive you and come into your heart, that's what I did and He moved in and now I can rejoice for I am a new person in Christ Jesus.

2Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

No comments:

Post a Comment