Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Combed, Washed, Covered

Did you take time to look in the mirror today? What did you see? Maybe when you looked into the mirror you combed something, or you brushed something, or you washed something, or you covered up something. If you had a full-length mirror, maybe you decided there's something you need to lose? Or maybe you needed to straighten something. What's the purpose of having a mirror? Did you really like what you saw? I think for most of us, the reason we have a mirror is so we can see what needs to be changed. We may have many mirrors but there is another kind of mirror that is not made of glass but it does the same thing. This mirror is made of paper and ink and it’s called the Bible. When you and I read it, it should change us.
James 1:21  Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
James 1:22  But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
James 1:23  For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
James 1:24  For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
There was this young lady I was trying to impress that was in my Sunday school class. I asked my brother how my hair looked; he stepped back and asked if I had a comb. I pull it out of my back pocket and he went to fixing it and I was very grateful. This went on for a few weeks and every Sunday he was always there to make me look my best. One day I went by a mirror and took a quick glance as I went by just to check out how great I looked. But as I took that look I noticed that my hair was anything but nice looking; he had it standing up and all out of place. I was hot, mainly because he had made me look like some wild Indian when I was doing my best to get this young lady to see how wonderful I was. As I looked into that mirror I assure you I didn’t look and just go on my way. No! I stopped and fixed my hair. Now I want you to know that I loved my brother but at that moment I felt something other than love; more like when I get my hands on him I’ll just give him some tender loving care with my fist. That was many years ago now and as I think about it, it’s funny. The mirror that day inspired me to fix the problem. That is what our Bibles should do as we read them they should move us to change and fix what is broken and out of place. That is why we need to read it often and allow God to change our attitude, enlighten us where we are wrong in the things we are thinking, saying, feeling and doing. Allow the mirror of God’s Word to help us become stronger and it will change us and make us new.     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment