Thursday, May 5, 2011

Right Path, Right Place

Yul Brynner was in a lot of great movies but he died of lung cancer. His lung cancer was caused by a lifetime of smoking, and they filmed a public service announcement shortly before his death. He knew he was dying, and basically in it he says, "Take it from me, it's not worth it. It's too late for me, but you still have time to change."
In a sense, he was a voice from the grave with a very sobering warning. I wonder how many lives were changed because of Yul’s plea. I am sure as many heard his voice and they began to think about themselves and hopefully made a change. There are many that wonder what happens when one dies. Some will say “there's a heaven, but not a hell." Or others will say "I think there might be a hell, but not a heaven." While others say "I don't think there's a heaven or a hell." While there are many opinions may I say that we all have an opinion, but there is nothing like the facts? God has given us a voice from the past or a voice from the grave; no it’s not Yul Brynner. Matter of fact this man’s name is not known or given I don’t have a web page address to send you to but I do have a book, chapter and verses:
Luke 16:22  And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
Luke 16:23  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luke 16:24  And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
As I read those verses I noticed something about both men. The beggar died and then we are told that he was carried by the angels. The rich man died and we are told he was buried and then we are told that he lifted up his eyes, being in torments. We are not told that the rich man was in torment we are told he was in torments and I would think that, that would suggest more than one. I also see this rich man is crying for mercy and asking for a drop of water and then we are told that he was tormented in this flame. This rich man was not in a state of mind; he was not reincarnated. He was not in heaven. He was separated from God by a great gulf; alone and suffering without relief. And here, like Yul Brynner in that old commercial, he comes back from the grave to warn others of what he knows is there. This is one thing you don't want to be wrong about. You don't want to be wrong about what happens when you die and what it takes to get ready for it. If you're wrong, you're eternally wrong. Do not procrastinate. I remember years ago a preacher challenged his listeners at the beginning of a revival to read Luke chapter 16 once a day for a week. I took on that challenge and it opened my eyes to a lot that is going on in hell. I challenge you for the next week to do the same. It will do something for you that you will not forget. If by some reason you wind up there you can rest assure that you will not have a second chance. Make sure you are on the right path headed for the right place. Can you hear the Rich man saying "take it from me, it's not worth it. It's too late for me, but you still have time to change."

No comments:

Post a Comment