Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Deaf

 Helen Keller wrote; I am just as deaf as I am blind. The problems of deafness are deeper and more complex; if not more important, than those of blindness. Deafness is a much worse misfortune. It means the loss of the most vital stimulus – the sound of the voice that brings language, sets thoughts astir, and keeps us in the intellectual company of man. I can’t identify with Helen Keller for I have my sight as well as my hearing. I received a phone call from a dear friend of mine on yesterday and he brought something to my attention I want to share with you today. If you will remember on yesterday I wrote about the Rich man and the Poor man in Luke chapter 16. We are told that they both died 
Luke 16:22  And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
You may ask so what; in the life before the beggar died I see two things about him # one we don’t know his name and # two we see him talking. In order to beg you have to talk. Now before the death of the rich man we read nothing of him saying a word. After they both die we see it reversed the rich man is doing a lot of talking and the beggar is saying nothing and we also learn what his name is  
Luke 16:23  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Have you ever stopped to wonder why Lazarus all of a sudden becomes deaf and blind toward the rich man? Here are a few reasons why.
#1- He was enjoying the Wonders of Paradise
#2- It wasn’t time for him to Witness    
#3- It wasn’t time for him to see the destruction of the Wicked.
Now on the other hand the rich man is doing all that is possible to relieve his desire for water. The very first thing I see is that it’s still about him. 
Luke 16:24  And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tonguefor I am tormented in this flame. He wanted water and asked for it and was denied the request.  After he was denied his drop of water his request is now for his family. 
Luke 16:27  Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
Luke 16:28  For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. He is denied again. Isn’t it strange how talkative the rich man became when his talking was worthless. Lazarus is begging no more; his days of witnessing to the lost are over. His days of weeping for the lost are past. That’s why we must be busy about the Fathers business for Jesus Christ came into the world for one thing; do you know what that is?
Luke 19:10  For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost. We must tell others while we still have time; we must weep over lost family member while we still have tears. We must work while it is day for the night cometh. 
John 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. If we fail to see others in need of a Savior then what Helen Keller said may just apply to us. The problems of deafness are deeper and more complex, If not more important, than those of blindness. Deafness is a much worse misfortune.  If you can’t see, then you become deaf and numb to what their greatest need is; JESUS! Thanks Brother Ron, my good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment