Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sounds Close

We live in a day where double-talk is all around us. There are those who make No sound like Yes and Yes like No. I remember standing in a voting booth one day reading something we were to vote on. As I read what had been carefully written it read as if I voted yes that would be the way I felt but after closer examination I saw that it had not only been carefully written but also craftily written .If I were to vote yes it would not have been what I thought. In other words it had been written where No meant Yes and Yes meant No. In March of 1775 the legislature was meeting at St. John’s Creek in Richmond, Virginia A Man by the name of Patrick Henry stood and urged his fellow Virginians to arm themselves in self defense and said the immortal words; “I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death.” I wonder if Patrick Henry might have been reading his Bible and ran across another man who said something very similar; see what you think! 
Joshua 24:15  And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
I don’t know but it sure sounded close to me; Patrick Henry said “make your Choice but here’s mine" “but as for me, give me liberty or give me death.” That’s what Joshua said “choose you this day” make a choice but here is the choice I’m making “as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. “ We can double talk or we can make a choice! We can learn how to have a play on words making yes sound like no or no like yes. Or we can be like a man I heard yesterday morning say that he was an open book. I thought to myself, good words.  So who are we? One hiding behind the shadows, in the group not making decisions, riding the fence or do those around us know where we stand. A young man decided onetime to hang a picture of a woman which was partly dressed on the wall in his work area. When his wife saw it she didn’t scream at him but simply said “do you think my Dad would hang that picture on a wall at his home?” She knew where her dad stood; she could easily say that and because of the respect the young man had for his father-n-law knowing he would never have such a picture removed it. Both knew where he stood there was no guess work here. Let’s line ourselves up with the Joshua’s and the Patrick Henry’s and let those around us know where we stand. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this Wayne!!! Lets be leaders to others and followers of Christ!!!

    ReplyDelete