Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Who Are We Following

My wife and I went to see her Dad the other day to wish him a happy father’s day. I think very highly of him; I worked with him for about five years and we became very close. We not only worked together; we did many things together. We went on vacations together, fished together and hunted together. We were reminiscing that afternoon and I found out something that I didn’t know. He and I and my youngest brother-n-law were deer hunting and it was getting late in the day when my brother-n-law came and said let’s go the truck. I got up and started following him; after walking for longer than I thought we should have I asked him if he knew where he was? To which he said no! I had been following him and now it was getting real late in the day. I didn’t want to spend the night in the woods so I climbed up a tree hoping to see where we had parked. All I saw was a place that looked like a clearing; maybe that was where we had parked; so off we headed in that direction. It was getting darker by the minute and if this wasn’t where we had parked we would have to shoot three times in the air letting everyone know we were lost; didn’t want to do that.  The other night as we were reminiscing, my father-n-law said that we had passed his deer stand twice and that he had been watching us the whole time. I can’t remember him ever telling me that. I learned that day not to follow my brother-n-law. Many are following others that have no clue to where they are going. The Bible tells us that if the blind lead the blind they will both fall in the ditch.
Matthew 15:14  Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
Every time you see these two words together “follow Me” in the Gospels it is always referring to following Jesus. Jesus never told us to follow a man, preacher, Sunday School teacher or a religion. He did tell us to follow Him. When we get off track and begin to walk around in circles He like my father-n-law is watching us and will help us so make sure you are following the right one; the right one to follow is JESUS. You will find out all about Him in the Bible. 

1 comment:

  1. Paul admonished his followers to follow him as he followed Christ. Good thoughts for the a.m.

    ReplyDelete