Monday, March 12, 2012

Blind


Have you ever wanted somebody to do something for you and really didn’t how or what to ask for? That is exactly what we read happening in Matthew chapter 20. It is here we read about two blind men. They are sitting on the side of the road when they hear a sound of people coming toward them. They hear the name Jesus; they may have heard of this man Jesus before. Maybe they had heard about Jesus walking on the Sea of Galilee or Jesus feeding the four thousand or maybe the healing of a devil possessed boy. Whatever it was they began to shout out to Jesus but something happened that they were not expecting. This multitude that was now following Jesus began to tell them to be quiet. Be quiet, they must have thought not on your life so they began to shout louder. That is when we read this in verse 32And Jesus stood still.”  These two men have now gotten the attention of Jesus so much so that He comes to a complete stop. Jesus then asked them this question” What will ye that I shall do unto you? ” What happens next is very important for these two men are much like you and I; they didn’t really know how to ask Jesus. Read what they said.
Matthew 20:33They say unto him, Lord, that our eyes may be opened.  Jesus knew what they wanted as well as what they needed so Jesus gives them what they needed not what they asked for.
Matthew20:34 So Jesus had compassion on them, and touched their eyes: and immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed him. The multitude had their eyes open but they were blind to the real need of two blind men even to the point that they were doing their best to keep their mouths shut. I pray that our eyes are not just opened but that we can see to the needs of others to the point that we will do what we can. I have said on many occasions to others “if there is anything I can do please let me know.” I really mean what I said at the time but there was no phone call or message sent to me for me to help. God showed me something very valuable about this that I want to share with each of you. Back at the end of 2010 my wife fell down the stairs here at our home. It was a bad fall she broke her leg in 2 places and had to have rods and plates and screws and could not put any weight on her leg for three months. There were many that helped in that time of need but there were two women that God used to really teach me something. This lady called and asked how my wife was doing and we chit-chatted for a few moments. She then said this “I am taking the day off this Friday and my sister and I are coming to cook and clean and spend some time with your wife. Now neither one of these ladies really knew my wife; I’m not sure if they had ever seen her.  This lady didn’t give me time to say anything, she didn’t ask if I wanted her help she just said we’re coming; and they did; more than once. God taught me something priceless, many times we will not ask because of pride or we just don’t want to put others out. We tell Tom or Sue if you need anything just let me know. Do we really mean it? Sure we do and if they were to call we would fulfill our promise. But we ride by their home and we see that the grass needs cutting and we do nothing, our eyes are open but we are blind to the needs around us. This was the problem within the multitude that day; they just didn’t see the need. When the two blind men asked to have their eyes opened Jesus saw the real need and not only opened their eyes but also gave them sight. This is what we may need this week, sight in the blind areas of our day to day actives that we might be a blessing and a help to those around us. Ask the Lord to help you see the needs of others and then go and do what He shows you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment