Friday, October 5, 2012

Buried in Backyard


There was a man who buried his money in a can in the back yard at his home. The problem is that he never told anyone just where he had placed it. Then the unexpected happened he had a stroke and he too forgot where he had put it, all he could remember is that it was somewhere in the back yard. We all have things we haven’t told others, not because it is some big secret we just don’t. I am trying to let my wife know as much as I can my pass words and where I keep them so if she needs them she’ll know where they are. Our treasures what are they? The man I told you about had his treasure buried in his back yard. He just forgot where and as his grandson told me he wasn’t sure that he had ever buried anything back there anyways.  Have you ever thought about what your treasures are? Some think that winning a large sum of money would be a wonderful treasure. Some feel if they could just get that promotion that would be the treasure of a life time.  Merriam Webster gives this meaning to TREASURE wealth (as money, jewels, or precious metals) stored up or hoarded  (2): wealth of any kind or in any form: riches b: a store of money in reserve 2: something of great worth or value; also: a person esteemed as rare or precious 3: a collection of precious things
The first meaning had to do with money stored up or buried treasure. I was more interested in the meaning that said “of great worth or value, a person esteemed as rare or precious and a collection of precious things.”  The first time we see the word used in the New Testament deals with our heart.
Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. The man earlier had his heart buried in the back yard he just did know where. Where are our real treasures? Sure we all want better pay but is that a treasure? I think not a treasure is something of great worth. What could that be? I don’t know what it is for you but for me it’s hiding and placing God’s Word in my heart. I read God’s Word daily and I meditate on God’s Word until He ministers to me. Sometimes that’s in the first 15 minutes and sometimes its and hour but I want to hear from HIM! Then I have a treasure in my family there is nothing that thrills my heart more than for one of our children calling me just to talk; not asking for anything just talk and then as we say goodbye to hear them say Dad I love you; that’s  priceless. What a treasure that is. Then there is the treasure that the Lord gave me in my wife what a wonderful woman she is and what a lucky man I am. Now where are your treasures? Stop and look around see what and where they are and please don’t bury them in the back yard for you might just forget where you buried them.

No comments:

Post a Comment