Friday, February 12, 2010

Moon Frog

Some years back on a Friday I got this idea; it was a simple plan but I would be taught something I hadn't planned on. Three of our grandchildren were coming to spend the night and I was looking forward to the evening. I got home early and was thinking of something special to do with them. As I walked outside I was looking at the fish in the pond and I got this idea. I had a big frog that I had set in the pond for decorations. I decided I would take this frog back into the woods and make up some wild tale. I would then take the grandkids into the woods looking for this frog after dark. After they arrived at the house all was going well as I began with the story. It went like this; I said "I guess you learned a lot today about the moon frog." They had no clue about what I was talking about so they said "what is a moon frog?" I then said "I can't believe that they didn't say anything at school today about the moon frog." Then I proceeded to tell them this story; Back in the late 20's the Japanese gave the USA a frog that only comes out on this date when it's a full moon and tonight is the night. They said can we go looking for one tonight and I said "we might." MY wife and I took them out to eat and before I knew it, it had gotten late. All three were in the back seat asleep. When we arrived home the two boys woke up and wanted to go looking for the moon frog. Off we went; as we walked through the bush in the dark they were asking all kinds of questions and then I said," Be quiet; did you hear that?" "Hear what" they asked; and I said "that noise" and then I put my light on that frog that I had placed there earlier. I said there's a moon frog and then I tried to get them to go and pick it up, but that was not going to happen. We left the woods and went back to the safety of the house. When we came in the door my granddaughter was crying because she didn't get to go; so we went back to the woods and I went through the same routine as before but this time when I put the light on that frog my granddaughter took off running to it and picked it up for she was not a bit afraid of it. Reminds me of Joshua and Caleb who believed God and they were well able to take the land God said they could have. Numbers 13:30
And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it.
Caleb like my granddaughter had no fear for Caleb knew God would protect them. My granddaughter had no fear for she knew that I would not let any harm come to her. Now the boys, well they were like the others who feared Numbers 14:3
And wherefore hath the LORD brought us unto this land, to fall by the sword, that our wives and our children should be a prey? Were it not better for us to return into Egypt?
The boys were satisfied with just going back to the house; which they did. I have thought about that night from time to time and I have had to stop and ask myself more than once do I go back or do I go forward? John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
Fear often keeps us from God's best - parenting out of fear, leading (or failing to lead) because of fear, resisting God's call or God's assignment because of fear, missing God's best because of fear of failure, leaving someone we know spiritually lost because of fear of sharing Jesus with them. Do you see what fear does? It keeps you and I from listening to and following the one who says

1John 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
How about this past week did you trust God or did you fear the giants that were before you? Well, I hope you trusted God and overcame some fears. As I close for the week, you may not have given it much thought, but this Sunday will be Valentines Day and if you are not up to the wrath of your mate or sweetheart, I think it would be in your best interest to get a little something and a nice card; just to say "I LOVE YOU." I just want you to have a nice day come Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment