Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Share

In the book of Luke chapter 12 we read this verse Luke 12:15
And he said unto them, Take heed, (be careful) and beware of covetousness: (greed) for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. Could you shine a little more light on that for us Jesus?

Luke 12:16
And he spake a parable unto them, saying,
The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:

Luke 12:17
And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?

Luke 12:18
And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

Luke 12:19
And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

Luke 12:20
But God said unto him,
Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

Luke 12:21
So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God. We see God calling what appears to be a very successful business man a fool. Why was this man a fool? Was it because it's wrong to be good at business? Should every business be non-profit? Should there be no planning for the future or retirement? Should there be no enjoyment of life and the fruit of our labors? Is it wrong to have an abundance of things? If that is what you got out of those verses then you missed it. The rich man's problem wasn't that he had nice things, planning for the future or that he had made a profitable business; why then did God called this man a fool? Look again at verse 21 So
is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God. Is God saying you didn't give me my share? No! Because everything belongs to God anyways, so what does "not rich toward God" mean? This parable is not about business or profits, but perspective here we read of a good farmer making big profits but in all that profit he only thinks of himself. Did you notice how he worded things "he thought within himself "What shall I do ""I have no room "bestow my fruits "This will I do": I will pull down my barns "I bestow all my fruits and my goods "I will say to my soul" This man was called a fool because all he could think about was himself not one time do we read of him saying anything about God. He didn't say thanks to God who brought the good weather and rain that allowed me to have this bumper crop. He didn't say I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father who has given me the ability to have what I have. No! Not one time was this man rich toward God. It would do us all good to sit down and take an account of what we have and thank God for allowing us to have it. I hope you have and I hope you have given God credit and not yourself; for without Him you wouldn't have a thing. Don't forget God provides us each day with all the oxygen we can breathe and if you don't think that is very important then just stop breathing. Why don't you just stop what you are doing and be rich toward God it will do you good and He wants to hear you. Invite God as your partner in your life and seek to develop your relationship with Him. Give Him the rightful place as Lord in your life. If you do this, you'll be in a secure place with treasures stored for eternity that no one or nothing, not even death, can take away

No comments:

Post a Comment