Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sheep

When I as a boy would do dumb things my mother and Dad would ask me the same old question "son why on earth did you do that?" I would always say because everyone else was doing it; to which they would say "if everyone was jumping off a cliff would you?" I was reminded of that when I read in USA TODAY a story of 1500 sheep that decided to do just that. First one sheep jumped to its death. Then stunned Turkish shepherds, who had left the herd to graze while they had breakfast, watched as nearly 1,500 others followed, each leaping off the same cliff, Turkish media reported. In the end, 450 dead animals lay on top of one another in a billowy white pile, the Aksam newspaper said. Those who jumped later were saved as the pile got higher and the fall more cushioned, Aksam reported. Now what is so amazing about what we just read is that the bible says we are all like sheep.

Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; When my Mom and Dad asked me "if everyone was jumping off a cliff would you?" I could have said sure we all have even you two! I would have never said anything to my parents like that for if I had you would not be reading this now. Sheep are not the brightest and are we like sheep? Now think about it for a moment, if everyone starts buying one or two brands of shoes, clothing or whatever we think if we are going to be cool we must have it. What's the difference between the sheep that plunged to their death? Here's the coolest thing, that when you and I realize we are like those not so bright sheep there is something great for us. John 10:7
Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

John 10:9
I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

John 10:10
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. Jesus said He was the door of the sheep and if you and I enter in we shall become the family of God. There is a thief that doesn't want you and I to go through that door and that thief would be the devil and he would rather kill and destroy your life. If you read your bible you know that he is always on the move wrecking lives and destroying relationships. He does his best to keep you away from that door "Jesus Christ" because he knows that once you enter in you are out of his family. So he will tell you all kinds of lies like you are a good person or a nice guy, you are going to be alright; why so and so says they are going to heaven when they die and look what they did. Let me give you the bible scoop about being a good person

Romans 3:12
They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Jesus said this about being good

Luke 18:18
And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

Luke 18:19
And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? None is good, save one, that is, God.

There you go right from the lips of Jesus we aren't good; we may do good things, act good from time to time be not one of us are good enough to make it to heaven! We need Jesus Christ! Who is the shepherd of your life; you, the thief or the Good Shepherd? I hope and pray it's the Good Shepherd and this is why:

John 10:11
I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

He did when He gave His life on the cross for you and I so we wouldn't have to try to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment