Monday, October 18, 2010

Who You Talking To?

When I was a young there lived a lady four doors down from us. Now this lady did something most of us only do in our head or when we are by ourselves. Back in those days there was not much AC; if you had a window fan that is about all of the AC one would have. We didn’t have it in the car either; you’ll see why I told you that in just a second. I had gone down the street just four doors to see my friend. As I knock on the door I heard his mother talking to someone; I thought it was her son or daughter. No one came to the door but I could still here her talking up a storm so I looked in the window which was down on this hot summer day. There was no one but her in the room there was no one in the house but her; she was talking to herself, how strange. Later she was at a stop sign and she was talking but no one was in the car with her once again she was talking out loud to herself. I told one of my friends about it and he said she’s crazy she is always talking to herself and you know he was right every time you saw her she was talking to herself when her car went by you could hear her talking to herself. I know I talk to myself but not where others can hear it. I told you all that to tell you this, as I was reading in the book of Ecclesiastes here is what I noticed
Ecclesiastes 2:1 I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth, therefore enjoy pleasure: and, behold, this also is vanity. Solomon is talking to himself; no, he wasn’t talking out loud like my neighbor but he was talking to himself. The trouble with talking to yourself is that you will not have any negative thing to say to yourself. The Bible tells us this
Proverbs 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counselors there is safety. I think it best to discuss matters before you do them so that you can get different views as well as some past history. I always surrounded myself with older men and would ask them questions to help me better understand things I didn’t know or understand. They were a wonderful help and kept me from making some major mistakes in my life and ministry. Most of them are all gone now but I will never forget their advice to me. Solomon didn’t talk to anyone else, he didn’t look at how things affected other lives, and he didn’t read up on how it might affect him. Oh no, he jumps right in; wait before we get too hard on Solomon haven’t we done the same thing? One day you made a decision on your own you didn’t consult with your parents or anyone else you knew. You thought you knew what you were doing; you remember don’t you? I sure do. What I am trying to say is that we do not know it all and some good advice from older more mature men will not hurt you. I want you to have a great week. It’s Monday and you are alive and breathing, so lift your hand toward heaven and thank the Lord. Who cares what that person next to you thinks or in the car in the next lane at the red light thinks just have a great week. I am going to have a great week myself and if it goes wrong it will not be my fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment