Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Touch

It happened many years ago now. My family and I were at one of our neighbor’s home; back then neighbors spent time together at each other’s homes. For some reason I went into their basement alone and while I was there I noticed some weights. I decided to pump some iron, once over my head, twice and then it happen one of the weights fail off the bar and crushed my toe. Blood went everywhere and I went to screaming and crying! Everyone rushed in and saw what I had done to myself. Off  we went to the ER in downtown Atlanta. I soon found myself on a table in a room. I heard the Doctor say let's just cut it off.  What? Cut it off! Oh no that’s my toe we are talking about and I began to cry louder. I can remember it so clear. The nurse began to stroke my hand and arm and she began to talk to the Doctor. She talked him into saving my toe. Well, I still have it and yes it still looks crushed but I have it thanks to that wonderful nurse. What I remember most of that night is when she began to touch me which spoke compassion to a little boy in a big way. I was taught something very valuable that night and it was the power of a touch.  Jesus also knew the power of a touch in Matthew chapter 8 we see a leprous man coming to worship the Lord Jesus. 
Matthew 8:2  And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. Here is a man that no one wanted anything to do with for they knew that  it was possible for him to pass his disease of  leprosy to them if they were to come in contact with him. They wanted to stay far away and for sure didn’t want to touch him. Now what is strange is that is the first thing Jesus did 
Matthew 8:3  And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, This nameless man makes one appearance, has one request and receives one touch. That one touch changed his life forever.  Now I realized that it was not the touch and Matthew is careful to show us that it was the word Jesus spoke.
Matthew 8:3  And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.  Now place yourself in the leper’s shoes. He had no one to shake his hand, no one to embrace him, no one to tap on his shoulder to get his attention. He had not had a kiss from his wife or his kids and no one bumped into him. No touch and that’s the first thing Jesus does. The touch is powerful; it shares silenct words of compassion and kindness to a broken heart. I am glad a nurse, that I didn’t even know her name and to my knowledge never saw her again taught me the power of a touch on that fearful night.  I have never forgotten it and use that power of touch often. I think the Lord was teaching the power of a touch and the power of His word. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment