Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fishing


Here they come faster than a speeding bullet with the words that you have heard them say more than once. “Have you heard about_____!” I’m not much on getting the news out quickly good or bad.  There are times when I see that person and I would love to run over to them and say “did you know.” There was a man in the Bible named John the Baptist that one day had the opportunity to say “behold the Lamb of God.”   
John 1:29  The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
What if that someone had been you? Then for centuries to come people were reading your name in the scriptures; the next day Jerry, Mike, Tom, Ron, or YOU!” Now that would be something worth sharing with your grand kids wouldn’t it? Wait a moment, you and I have the opportunity to announce to this world on a daily basis that He did come. Do we take advantage of that opportunity? I’m not much on numbers and don’t keep track of the contacts that I make; it’s just part of my daily routine to make contacts for Jesus. No, I don’t corner someone up and make them feel uncomfortable if they don’t hear me out. If I talk to a person long enough it will not be long before Jesus comes into the conversation. My personal belief is that everyday Jesus has a set appoint for me with someone. I just don’t know with whom or what time. I remember talking with a pilot with a commercial air lines that I had become somewhat friends with over a period of time. One day I asked him a question about the second coming of Christ. This man was not spiritual at all and when I asked him that question he turned and looked me in the eyes and said “had anyone else asked me that question I would not have gave them an answer but because it’s you I will answer.” Little did I know that over a period of time God had been slowly leading me to a day and a point that I could make contact or plant a seed in this man’s life? Like fishing, sometimes we must be patient. Is that not what Jesus told His disciples?
Matthew 4:19  And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
I was trout fishing up in North Georgia mountains years ago and had fished all day and caught nothing. We approached some friends of my father-n-law and he had a string of fish. He asked the question “have you caught any fish.” I said no I have fished all day and have nothing to show for it. He looked at my line and hook and said you’ll never catch a trout with that; your line is too heavy and your hook to big. Take my rod; I did and in just a few seconds I caught a trout. Know what that man did? He taught me something about trout fishing and from then on I have caught trout. Jesus said follow me and I will; not might but will make you fishers of men. Jesus said pay attention boys, listen to what I’m saying and doing for I want to reproduce myself in you.  Give a man a fish and you can feed him for a day, teach that same man how to fish and you can feed him for a life time. Jesus said Follow me and I’ll teach you!
John 8:31  Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
John 8:32  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
Believe on Him, continue in His word, learn of Him and you’ll know the truth. Did you see it “you’ll know.” Others will not have to tell you, you’ll know. Others will not have to show you, you’ll know. Now be a fisher of men, women, boys and girls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment