Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Total Darkness


We wrote on yesterday the very first words from Jesus’ mouth were words of pardon for His murderers. Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. 
Today I would like to look at something else that Jesus prayed.
Mark 15:33  And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.
Mark 15:34  And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
This darkness was not an eclipse of the sun but was a supernatural darkness which speaks of the awfulness of the condition of a person forsaken by God. When God is gone, light is gone. The awfulness of absolute darkness without God is devastating. I have stood by the bedside and watched as the last breath was breathed out. This is never a pleasant experience but I have seen that all people don’t die the same way.  I remember one night standing by the bedside of a lady fighting to breathe, the death rattle had already begun, she had laid there not moving at all for some time. Then all of a sudden she rose up and had a strange look in her eyes as if she had seen something fearful. I remember another time an elderly lady was lying in the bed knowing she would never go home again, she looked at her family and told them that she was looking for a good place to cross over. In a few days she found that place and crossed with a smile on her face. I don’t know what either of those women saw but after reading what Jesus said “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” Only assures me of not wanting to face death alone. For those who have put their trust in Christ we have this promise from the Word of God.
Hebrews 13:5  Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
The Apostle Paul put it this way
Romans 8:34  Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
Romans 8:35  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
Romans 8:36  As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
Romans 8:37  Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
Romans 8:38  For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
Romans 8:39  Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
And you thought your retirement plan was secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment