Thursday, August 3, 2023

Confusion

Mark 2:13 (KJV) And he went forth again by the sea side; and all the multitude resorted unto him, and he taught them

Jesus is back by the sea shore and people are coming to where He is. Jesus takes this opportunity to teach those that have come. Jesus sees a man by the name of Levi/Matthew  and calls him to come and follow Him. Levi does so without question.

Mark 2:14 (KJV) And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him. Now there are 5 men following after Jesus; Andrew, his brother Simon, James and his brother John and now Levi. Remember what Jesus is doing? He’s making leaders with men who are  willing to follow Him. Levi is excited about his decision to follow Jesus. Here’s how I know!  

Mark 2:15 (KJV) And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him. Levi is so excited he is having a get together at his house. Levi does what you and I might do; he invites those he worked with and worked for, as well as other people that he came in contact with on a work basis. Then we read about the scribes and the Pharisees who may not have been invited by Levi but were following Jesus to see what He was up to. 

Mark 2:16 (KJV) And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him (Jesus) eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he (Jesus) eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners? These scribes and Pharisees didn’t go to Jesus nor Levi but Jesus’s disciples. That’s the best way to cause confusion, ask those who don’t always know. Jesus is teaching, training these disciples to turn the world upside down and at this point they know more about fishing than the work of Jesus Christ.  I love the answer Jesus gives when he hears.  

Mark 2:17 (KJV) When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Those that are well don’t need a doctor but those that are sick. What’s Jesus saying? People like yourselves think they are whole and don’t need help. I came to give life to those who know they need help. These verses are a wonderful word picture of what happens when one like Levi knows he needs Jesus. He is so excited to share his new found faith to his friends and coworkers. But there’s always going to be others who aren’t so happy. I remember when I began to follow Christ some were happy for me but not all. I remember the night I told my dad I was going to Bible College. He was not happy about my decision and told me so. Little did I know nor did he know that in years to come I would be the one God used to influence and bring him to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. He’s in heaven now and I’m sure he’s happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment