Monday, November 6, 2023

Do We Have Faith In Others?

Jesus, Peter, James and John are returning from off the mountain and joining back up with the other disciples. There’s a multitude of people and also the scribes and the disciples are being questioned.

Mark 9:14 (KJV) And when he came to his disciples, he saw a great multitude about them, and the scribes questioning with them. Jesus asked the scribes why are you questioning these men?

Mark 9:16 (KJV) And he asked the scribes, What question ye with them? Then a father comes forward and tells Jesus the problem with his son. My son has a dumb spirit, that throws him to the ground. Then he foams at the mouth, grinds his teeth, and becomes exhausted. I asked your disciples for help in removing this awful spirit, but they didn't have the power to do it. Sometimes it takes God to do miracles. I wish I had all the answers and sometimes I just wish I could state a reason for the troubles others are having. But I can’t. Why did God do for one and not another? I don’t know! What I do know is, God doesn’t take life, God gives life. That my friend is greater than any problem you or I will ever have. 

John 3:15 (KJV) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:16 (KJV) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

What do you really want? To be healed and given a few more days here? Or be given life with no end 

everlasting life? Should we pray? Should we ask God to heal? Should we ask God to remove? You see this man asking for help for his son realizes his son is irreplaceable. Just like your son, daughter, mom or dad and yes we must pray and seek God with great ambition that God would help them. I’m reminded of a woman who had bad health. She is in the hospital and the Doctors report is not looking good. Her Pastor enters her room. They talk for a short while when he says let me pray for you before I leave. The woman says to him, that will be great. But pastor please don’t ask God to make me better I’m ready to go. Could these disciples have made this boy better? I don’t know! Why do I say that? Because of what Jesus said to the father of the child. 

Mark 9:19 (KJV) He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me.

To whom is the personal pronoun “him” referring to? Is it not the father of the child? Did the child’s father have faith that those disciples could help? I’m not sure he did. Reminds me of what James wrote.

James 4:3 (KJV) Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Was this father asking these disciples without really believing they could help?  Maybe these disciples had never seen anything like this before. I don’t know. Could it just boil down to how much faith did the father really have? God can do anything, but do we have faith in others?

No comments:

Post a Comment