What is that? “violent passion or excitement of the mind, in pursuit of some object, inspiring extravagant hope and confidence of success.”
Have you ever heard words of discouragement? I will answer that for you, yes. I have heard those words all my life. My drill Sargent told me I would never amount to anything. I can’t count the times I heard the words you will never be able to that. What is sad about all I just have written and more is that I believed it wasn’t possible for me to do those things. One day I heard a good friend of mine say somethings that changed the way I thought. My friend wasn’t even talking to me he was talking about himself. Oh but what he said greatly impacted my life. This is what he said “I may never have what Ted Turner has but I can have a little bit of what he has.” Think about what he said; not the Ted Turner part but the rest of what he said. I stop trying to be someone else and started being myself becasue it is easy to be yourself. One of my good friends talked to anyone that would listen about Jesus Christ. I wanted so much to have what he had but I wasn’t him. You know what? I can’t have what he had, but I can have a little bit of what he has. Off I went not trying to be my good friend but just be me. It may take me longer but I have learned over the years just what the Apostle Paul said in Philippians 4:13 (KJV) I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Paul said “I can do” but Paul also knew he could not do it by himself “through Christ which strengtheneth me.”
Calvin Coolidge said it well when he said this “Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.” If I am excited about something there is a reason why. I must quit telling myself you can’t and start telling myself you can. I remember a sign at a church one day as I drove by. It read “A farmer never harvests a field he first didn’t sow a seed.” I may never have what others have but I can have a little bit of what others have. That goes for anything. Let’s pursue the object with the attitude like the Apostle Paul “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”
No comments:
Post a Comment