Thursday, September 16, 2010

Beth

I want to take the time to share a story with you about a young lady named Beth and what the Lord had done in her life. We hear how God works in the lives of those with drug and alcohol problems but Beth's story is one that is often overlooked or we think there's no help. Hi, my name is Beth Norman; I'm a nineteen-year-old student in the women's discipleship program of Reformer's Unanimous. I'd like to tell you about myself, and how you can help others like me find freedom through Christ. I grew up in a conservative Christian home. Though my family moved often, my father held prominent positions in many fundamental Baptist churches. Being home-schooled, I learned early in life the difference between right and wrong. I accepted Christ as a kindergartner. When I was thirteen, despite my sheltered environment, I started listening to lies Satan whispered to me. He chanted them through magazine covers, diet commercials, and models in the department stores: "Only thin people are beautiful", "If you aren't rail-skinny, you aren't cool", and "Being a size 0 is the only way to be truly accepted." Trained well, I had (what I called) 'great self discipline'. Armed with this, I embraced my obsession. It was my salvation. I religiously practiced my restricted eating throughout my teen years and up to my sophomore year of college.

Though I thought I had charmed this snake into a docile friend, it spun on me and bit me. My parents had no other choice but to leave me, here in Rockford, Illinois, against my will. Pride and rebellion had gnawed away my 5'8" frame to about 80 lbs. Through Reformers Unanimous, God has revealed the poisonous lies that Satan was feeding me…lies I gladly gobbled up, oblivious to the deadly direction they were leading. I firmly believe I would be dead if not for this ministry! As a pastor's daughter and a Bible college student, I have found a freedom in Christ here in Rockford, IL. Freedom I never thought possible! By God's grace, I am going to influence others by becoming a Christian author when I graduate this program!


 

Life: the time God gives you to determine how you spend eternity

Make God smile again. Accept his forgiveness

1 comment: