Friday, September 24, 2010

What You Have

If God wants to get your attention He knows how to do it. Moses was watching the sheep when all of a sudden he noticed something he had never seen before.

Exodus 3:2
And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.

Exodus 3:3
And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt. Moses thought, "Why isn't this bush burning up? I must go over there and see what's going on." When Moses investigated it, God spoke. He called Moses to return to Egypt and lead His people from captivity. Instead of Moses jumping at the opportunity; he didn't want to go. So he decided to offer some good excuses why he couldn't go. The first one was a good one "I can't speak," so what are you doing now Moses? Then he makes everyone's decision for them "They won't believe me," how does he know what they will or will not believe? Before we get quick and judge Moses we have our own set of excuses don't we. Notice what happens here Exodus 4:1
And Moses answered and said, But, behold, they will not believe me, nor hearken unto my voice: for they will say, The LORD hath not appeared unto thee. How did Moses know what the people would say?

Exodus 4:2
And the LORD said unto him, What is that in thine hand? And he said, A rod.     

Exodus 4:3
And he said, Cast it on the ground. And he cast it on the ground, and it became a serpent; and Moses fled from before it.

Exodus 4:4
And the LORD said unto Moses, Put forth thine hand, and take it by the tail. And he put forth his hand, and caught it, and it became a rod in his hand: God told Moses, "Hold out your staff and drop it." The staff turned into a snake. God didn't send Moses back home or anywhere else to get anything. God didn't send Moses anywhere to buy something. What God did do is He told Moses to use what he already had: the staff of a shepherd. We like Moses feel inadequate or not prepared for what He has for us. We come up with excuses (even some good ones!) and plead with God to send someone else, anyone else just not me. Let me explain myself better. A while back God gave me a burden to open a home for those with addictions at no or little cost to those that God would later send our way. Let me tell you I got all fired up about the idea and I set back and waited on God to do something. After a while nothing had been done; I began to ask myself did I misunderstand what God was showing me? I prayed but nothing was happening then one day as I was reading my Bible God spoke to me. (Imagine that) I was reading in the book of Matthew in chapter 7 and in verse 7 God spoke to my heart. Matthew 7:7
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: God stopped me there and I said "I have asked and I have knocked and then I saw it; I had not been doing any seeking. Then I read the next verse

Matthew 7:8
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
That day I left my study with a different attitude and on February 12, 2010 the Scarlet Thread Ministries was incorporated. On October the ninth the first phase of the Scarlet Thread Ministries will open its first Thrift Store which will be a vehicle that God will use to open the homes which are to follow. The amazing thing about it God didn't tell me to get something from somewhere else He just said use what you have and I'll do the rest. It can be scary to answer God's call. But, when you feel Him tugging and leading you, have faith. You can trust Him! Let Him use just what you have. And with God's strength you can do anything.

This week has gone by so quickly. As we face another weekend I hope you have plans to be in your place on Sunday. I will be leaving for Chicago this Saturday with my wife and 6 others and will not return until October first. We are off to a Reformers Unanimous Addictions conference to sharpen our minds as we work with those who the enemy has all but destroyed. I will not write again until Monday October 4 I ask that you pray for us as the Lord bring us to your mind. My prayer is that the Lord will bless each and every one of you. Thank you so much for the encouraging comments you send from time to time. They are areal blessing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment