Friday, September 7, 2012

Where's Your Treasure


 First time we read the word treasure in the Bible it has to do with money or wealth.
Genesis 43:23 And he said, Peace be to you, fear not: your God, and the God of your father, hath given you treasure in your sacks: I had your money. And he brought Simeon out unto them.
When we think of treasure does your mind think of wealth of some type? There was a story of a man who was told that he could have all the land he could walk around in one day, from daylight to dark. He started at first light with this once in a life time opportunity. As the sun began to rise his craving to have more caused him to quicken his pace. Just a little faster he told himself and he could have more, he kept pushing himself until his body and muscles began to cry for him to quit but he would not. At the end of the day they gave him his land, but it only measured six feet by two feet. Now think with me for a moment we may allow the greed to have more, push us to the point that we miss what is really important. We can spend long hours away from home and miss our children growing up; for they are going to grow up whether we are there or not. We can be so busy that we show our wife little or no attention and that’s not good. We can have the big house, fancy car, designer clothes and anything else we want and miss what really matters. The biggest treasure could be right in front of you. A young boy and his father had planned to go fishing, the plans were made and the son was more than excited. The day they were to go the Dad just didn’t feel up to it. He calls his son to the side and told him that he just wasn’t feeling that well and would it be alright if they planned another day. The boy said sure but you could tell that he was disappointed but if his Dad wasn’t feeling good then it would be for the best. About an hour later the phone rang and his Dad answered it. The voice of a friend asked what he was doing and if he wanted to go play 18 holes of golf to which the Dad said sure and off he went. Now what was important going fishing with your son or playing golf with a friend? Answer; going fishing with your son and spending time with your treasure! I remember coming home after working 12 to 14 hours. As I pulled into the driveway my younger son would be shooting baskets with his basketball. I would park and walk to where he was and say want to get beat? We would play for a while and I would cheat and he would laugh and we had a great time just father and son. He was once asked to write what he enjoyed doing and he wrote “I love shooting hoops with my Dad he makes me laugh and we have a good time.” To tell you the truth when I got home I wanted to go inside and sit down but I told myself that I will not always have this opportunity. So I played and little did I know how much that would mean to him. What a treasure of a memory I have and it’s priceless. Don’t spend all your time on the race trace go sit in the bleacher with your family while you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment