Thursday, November 30, 2023

Great Possessions

Mark 10:22 (KJV) And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

The last part of that verse caught my attention “for he had great possessions” didn’t he have at this time great possessions? Why was the past tense “had” used? Many, when they read the word possessions, think of great wealth. Yes that’s possible but don’t we all have great possessions? Think not? You and your wife have a young child or children, or grandchildren and some even great grandchildren. Is that not great possessions? If someone were to come and offer 2 million dollars for just one of those children would you swap for the money? Most likely not. Then I would say you have great possessions. Now going back to great wealth as a possession. In my life I have only had one friend that was a multimillionaire. He lived in Athens Tennessee. I met him in the early 80’s his name was Clarence Sullivain. Here’s what impressed me. He drove his Pastor down to preach a revival at our church. When I said he drove, he drove his camper pulling an SUV. He parked it behind the Church and he and his Pastor stayed there for the week. On Saturday morning they were leaving to go back home. I asked them if I could pray for them before they left? As we met at the altar inside the Church I prayed. After my prayer I will never forget what Clarence said. At that time he was 68 years old and I was 34. Clarence stood there with tears running from his eyes and dripping onto the floor and this is what he said. He said I was a member of a very large Church in Athens and all they cared about was my money and not telling me about how I could go to heaven. It was not until this man who is now my Pastor took time to tell me how I could go to heaven through Jesus Christ. I wish boys; that’s what he called us, boys. He said I wish I could have had what I have now at your age. Clarence died about 10 years later and went to his Heavenly home and became really wealthy; An heir of Jesus Christ. Could it be because one young preacher or boy as Clarence called him took time to tell him about real wealth, Jesus!

James 2:5 (KJV) Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

No comments:

Post a Comment