Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Sorry I Fell Asleep 🥱


Jesus and His Disciples now come to Gethsemane. Gethsemane is only mentioned two times in the Bible and both times in the New Testament. Each time it was a place of Prayer. As I wrote last time about the singing and making melody in the heart which is a wonderful experience. But we must remember that without prayer there will be no melody. In this case Jesus knows what’s ahead as He goes to pray. Mark 14:32 (KJV) And they came to a place which was named Gethsemane: and he saith to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I shall pray. As Jesus heads off to pray He turns and says to Peter, James and John you boys come with Me.

Mark 14:33 (KJV) And he taketh with him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy;  Why? Jesus tells them why.

Mark 14:34 (KJV) And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch. Jesus is asking these three brave men that would die for him, not to die but to pray because he  is Exceeding sorrowful unto death.  What do you think? These men got down on their faces and prayed. No, they did this. Mark 14:37 (KJV) And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour?  Come on guys, pray.

Mark 14:38 (KJV) Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak. Watch out for temptations! Here is a good lesson for me. My spirit is willing but my flesh is weak. Back when Peter said he would die for the Lord Jesus that was the spirit part of him talking and his spirit really meant it. But when it came down to it his flesh was weak; we will see that a little later. Ok these disciples got busted, caught sleeping when they were supposed to be praying. Here is another lesson for me: Jesus is ready and willing to give another chance.  Mark 14:39 (KJV) And again he went away, and prayed, and spake the same words. In a little while Jesus returned and the disciples were praying. No, but they were sleeping. Mark 14:40 (KJV) And when he returned, he found them asleep again, (for their eyes were heavy,) neither wist they what to answer him. Well that’s twice they were caught doing what they wanted and not praying for the Lord Jesus whom they claimed that they would die for.  Now Jesus returns the third time. Mark 14:41 (KJV) And he cometh the third time, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: it is enough, the hour is come; behold, the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. What’s the lesson? Why was this here for us to read? Here’s what I think. The Lord is more than patient with us. But when we are distressed others are not as distressed and they may or may not pray. There was a time my heart was so broken, I remember taking a shower and as the water hit my body I bent over and wept and prayed. But I'm sure no one else prayed as I did. Why? Because just like these disciples were asked to pray they just didn’t feel like the Lord Jesus did so they were able to sleep. When others ask us to pray, how do we pray or do we? I have a good friend now that is dying and I pray for him but I assure you I’m not praying like he is nor his children are. I must be careful that some temptation doesn’t keep me from praying for others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment