Friday, September 2, 2011

Contentment


Does it ever seem like what we want is just beyond our reach.  I'll be satisfied as soon as I graduate, as soon as I get that job, get that better job, get that house, get that bigger house, get a boyfriend or girlfriend, or get a little more money. I'll be content as soon as I'm married, as soon as I'm divorced, have children, have grandchildren, lose weight, get a makeover, feel better, as soon as I move, or as soon as I retire. It's life's never-ending cycle of "never enough." John D. Rockefeller was asked how much money is enough money. His answer was "A little bit more." Many find themselves driven to do whatever it takes to get just a little more. But it seems that what we want is always just beyond our reach. We get so discontent with what we don’t have and never at peace, never able to rest, never satisfied with what we do have.
Ecclesiastes 4:6 Better is an handful with quietness, than both the hands full with travail (toil) and vexation of spirit. What a great word picture for always wanting more. I once had a jar filled with money and told some young children that I was teaching that they could have all the money they could take from the jar only once. Every child would put his or her hand into it and try to get it as full as possible. Not one of them stopped to realize that as they filled their hand it made it impossible to get it back through the mouth of the jar. Instead of being content with a little they wanted more. Is that not what Solomon was teaching here it’s better to have a handful with quietness than to have both full with toil; It’s better to settle for less.
1Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
1Timothy 6:7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
1Timothy 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
Being content with what we have is great gain; what a wonderful lesson for us to learn.
That’s a Psalms 23 person.
Psalms 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
When Job found out all that he had lost this is what he had to say.
Job 1:21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.
Sounds like praise to me and praise is the language of contentment with a peaceful heart. Contentment is not getting everything you always wanted but realizing how much you already have.
It is going to be a long weekend as most will have Monday off for Labor Day. Be sure that you take Sunday off too may this Sunday find you in your place at your Church. See you Tuesday and have a blessed weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment