Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Impossible


Here he comes, breaking through the crowd; his question what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?
Matthew 19:16  And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
I am sure that has crossed many minds, can I do enough good to have eternal life; let’s see. Jesus answer is short and quick “if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.“ Ok now we’re getting somewhere.  Number 1- Don’t murder, #2- don’t commit adultery, #3- don’t steal, #4-don’t give false testimony, #5- honor your father and mother, #6- love your neighbor as yourself. His answer “I’ve done all these since I was a kid. Then Jesus says one more thing
Matthew 19:21  Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
Do what? Sell and give away what I have worked so hard for to people who are just too sorry to work themselves. I can’t do that, so he leaves and walks away never realizing that there is nothing he could have done himself to enter into eternal life.  After hearing this Jesus disciples asked this question.
Matthew 19:25  When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
Good question, listen to what  Jesus has to say.
Matthew 19:26  But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
Notice Jesus didn’t say this is improbable, unlikely or it’s will be tough, He says “IMPOSSIBLE.” No chance, no way, no loopholes, just as it is impossible to swim the Pacific, climb Mount Everest with a picnic basket and a walking stick. All our lives we have been awarded for our performance but here we find a set of laws we can’t keep. Just one time at not saying or doing the right thing at the right time and we are out. Ever gotten made at mom and dad and told them what you had on your mind? If so you’re out. Ever told a little lie? You’re out. We don’t need a resume we need a Redeemer for what is impossible with men is possible with God. It’s impossible for you and I to be awarded eternal life for our good behavior.  It wasn’t the man’s money that hindered, it wasn’t his possessions, it was the self sufficiency; I don’t need anyone but me, I can do this.  Oh no Jesus said it’s impossible and if He says that we better take note because if we don’t this may be the picture.
Matthew 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Matthew 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
God does not save us for what we have done or who we think we are for He is a great God and only a Great God does for His children what they can’t do for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment