Tuesday, December 27, 2011

What Happen to We


Gen 27:8 Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to that which I command thee.
Gen 27:9 Go now to the flock, and fetch me from thence two good kids of the goats; and I will make them savoury meat for thy father, such as he loveth:
Gen 27:13……only obey my voice, and go fetch me them.
Gen 27:45 Until thy brother's anger turn away from thee, and he forget that which thou hast done to him: then I will send, and fetch thee from thence: why should I be deprived also of you both in one day?
 In these few verses we read of a mother instructing her son to betray and lie to his dad. Jacob’s mother Rebekah tells Jacob to obey her voice and commands him to do wrong. Rebekah had all the answers and it all seemed to work just fine in deceiving Jacob’s dad Isaac. Jacob was able by the advice of his mother to fool four of Isaac’s senses but not his hearing. I don’t think Rebekah realize the results this would all bring.
Gen 27:41 And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him: and Esau said in his heart, The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob.   What happened next should teach us all something very valuable. Up to now it was Rebekah telling Jacob to obey her voice and her commands and Jacob obeyed his mother. One time he did question her:
Gen 27:12 My father peradventure will feel me, and I shall seem to him as a deceiver; and I shall bring a curse upon me, and not a blessing. But Rebekah responded:
Gen 27:13 And his mother said unto him, Upon me be thy curse, my son: only obey my voice,
When Esau said he hated his brother and had decided to kill him as soon as their father died Rebekah tells Jacob to:
Gen 27:43 Now therefore, my son, obey my voice; and arise, flee Then notice what Rebekah said:
Gen 27:45 Until thy brother's anger turn away from thee, and he forget that which thou hast done to him: then I will send, and fetch thee from thence: why should I be deprived also of you both in one day? Thou to Laban my brother to Haran;
Do what, flee away until your brother’s anger turns away from you Jacob and he forgets what you have done unto him. Wait, would it not have been correct for her to have said “flee Jacob until Esau’s anger is turned away and he forgets what WE have done into him.” Jacob was not innocent, by no means, but it was his mother that instructed him to do wrong. I am sure we have all been in a similar situation where we were instructed and when all went wrong the use of a personal pronoun came into use. I remember many years ago my brother and I were with our cousin and she did something wrong. She instructed us to tell a lie and that she would do the same. She then added under no circumstances were we to change our story. My brother and I were not in any kind of trouble at all but to help her I decided to stay with the story. My mother started in on me and asked me what had happened so I told her the story my cousin had told me to tell. All went well for awhile but then my mother said you might as well tell the truth for we know what happened. She then said that my cousin had already told what had happened and if I would tell them I would be in no trouble. Oh yea right! I had seen this kind of stuff on TV where  a police officer would try to get one person to tell on another; not me I’m not falling for that trick for I remember the words “under no circumstances.” Did she really think I would crack under this kind of questioning? Tell the truth son my mother said to which I said I am telling the truth. Then my mother said you are not in any trouble but if you keep tell me these lies then I’ll have to punish you. Yea right another trick for me to rat out on my cousin no way and the word “CIRCUMSTANCES” rang that much louder in my head. Then my mother began telling me what had happened and the only way she could have done that was that my cousin had broken down and told the truth. She was in no trouble because she told the truth and I got punished for telling a lie trying to protect her; instead of “we” it became me. Well so much for stuff one can learn on TV.  As we get closer to facing the New Year let us remind ourselves to learn from the Scriptures by reading them daily. It’s a New Year, put the old one behind you the best you can and put change into the New Year. Have a great last week of 2011. 

No comments:

Post a Comment