Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Giving Up

 Too many times we give up too easily. I can’t count the times I have given up. Jesus and His disciples are on their way to Jerusalem they came to Jericho and apparently they didn’t  stop or if they did we know nothing about it. For we read as they came and as they left. Mark 10:46 (KJV) And they came to Jericho: and as he went out of Jericho with his disciples and a great number of people, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the highway side begging.

But as Jesus and His disciples and those following were on their way out we read of another person. We are told this man’s name Bartimaeus and who his father was Timaeus as well as what and why he was there. Bartimaeus was blind and begging. Like all those who beg they want to get to where the most people are. I have never seen anyone standing on my street waving donuts trying to raise money for an event. You know why? I live on a dead end street. Not many people on a dead end street. Now remember, Bartimaeus is blind, he knows there are a bunch of people coming by.  Then he hears that in this bunch of people passing by that Jesus is with them.  Mark 10:47 (KJV) And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me.

When he heard it was Jesus he began to cry out Jesus have mercy on me. Noticed he didn’t say Jesus have mercy on me if it’s Your will. Then there were those who were telling him to be quiet. 🤐zip it up man. Bartimaeus said no way man and he began to get louder, a good bit louder because he couldn’t see where Jesus was and he wanted to make sure Jesus heard him. 

Mark 10:48 (KJV) And many charged him that he should hold his peace: but he cried the more a great deal, Thou Son of David, have mercy on me.

Bartimaeus may have said to those wanting him to be quiet. You aren’t blind, I am! This is an opportunity of a lifetime and I’m not going to miss it.  Well did it work? Did Bartimaeus get the attention of Jesus? I think so Mark 10:49 (KJV) And Jesus stood still, and commanded him to be called. And they call the blind man, saying unto him, Be of good comfort, rise; he calleth thee. Jesus stopped and commanded Bartimaeus to be brought to Him. Don’t you just love these kinds of people? One minute they are telling you to be quiet. Then the next minute they are coming to you telling you to be of good comfort.  Like they had been a big part of you getting help. Anyways Jesus stopped and  Bartimaeus came to where Jesus was. 

Mark 10:50 (KJV) And he, casting away his garment, rose, and came to Jesus.

Then Jesus asks what can I do for you? 

Mark 10:51 (KJV) And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee? The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might receive my sight. Bartimaeus didn’t say I think I’m blind and wanted to know if you could help me? No! Bartimaeus knew he was blind and knew Jesus could help him. So what’s the matter with me or yourself asking Jesus for help? Not a thing. James said it like this: James 4:2 (KJV) Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. Jesus asks what do you want me to do? Bartimaeus told him that I might receive my sight. Well what happened? Mark 10:52 (KJV) And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way. Jesus told a blind man to go his way. Stop there and you still have a blind man. Had Bartimaeus stayed where he was, nothing would have changed. If you ask and keep holding on, it will be true for you also. So what happened? Bartimaeus by Faith believing started going and immediately he received his sight.  

Bartimaeus by Faith did what he was told to do, “go thy way.” Jesus never told him to follow Him but that’s what Bartimaeus did. You should  never have to tell a person to go to Church after they ask Jesus in their heart. They should have a desire too. Didn’t you? 1 John 4:19 (KJV) We love him, because he first loved us.

No comments:

Post a Comment