Monday, December 11, 2023

Put Me In The Game

Mark 11:12 (KJV)  And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:

Mark 11:13 (KJV)  And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.

Mark 11:14 (KJV)  And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.

As I read these 3 verses I didn’t understand but there’s a lot of God’s Word I don’t understand. But as I read what other men had to say, I still could not get a handle on these 3 verses. In verse 11 the fig tree from a distance looked promising. Its leaf’s were full and the tree looked healthy from a distance but when our Lord got close, that’s all it had was looks. Then I thought about the places of worship; our Churches. I asked myself you can’t determine the fruit by the cars in the parking lot. But then you have to ask, all those cars bring people and that means there is fruit of some kind there. I read this “In most churches across America, approximately 20 percent of the attendees do the work of the church, both giving and volunteering.” Oh my! Then I asked myself if I'm in the 20% or the 80%? What do I do at my church? Do I give of myself, my talent? Do I give up my time? Do I give of my treasures? If for whatever reason if I couldn’t attend my Church for 6 weeks would there be a hole that others would have to fill? When I examine myself what do I see? A pretty leaf? A tree with  no fig! Or a pretty shining leaf with beautiful figs? How do you answer Mr Brown? I see you attend Church every Sunday. We are looking for Sunday School teachers. Would that be something you are willing to do? What would be the answer? Would it be oh wow, I would love to help when you need someone but I just don’t know about teaching every Sunday. If one stays in the comfort zone that’s all they will be, comfortable. Be the player that’s waving his hands saying put me in the game coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment