Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Rest of Story

When I was discharged from the military in 1972 I was not sure what I was going to do. Shortly after discharge I received a letter from the VA hospital with a job opportunity. I did a dumb thing and did not respond to it. I told you that not so you might know how dumb I act from time to time but to bring light to a greater reality. Do you remember a man by the name of Paul Harvey? I am sure you do; if I were to ask you what his trade mark was, you would quickly say "and now you know the rest of the story." Boy, wish I could have known the rest of the story back in 1972! Paul Harvey gave you the rest the story. There are so many times in our lives when we have decisions to make and we wish we had the rest of the story, the whole picture. Every day we have to make choices based on what we can see, knowing that there's so much we don't know and so much we don't see. But there's someone who does

Know the rest of the story and it isn't you and I. We are told in the book of James what to do if we don't know which way to go; James 1:5
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally,
{generous} and upbraideth not; {Charged with something wrong or disgraceful; reproached; reproved} and it shall be given him. What an awesome promise from God, that if I go to Him in faith, asking for His wisdom regarding this person or this situation, or this decision, I can be sure He knows the whole story!

In 1 Kings Chapter three Solomon has just became the King of Israel and he feels so inadequate so he goes to God who has all the answers as well as the resources. Solomon says 1Kings 3:7
And now, O LORD my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in.

1Kings 3:8
And
thy servant is in the midst of thy people which thou hast chosen, a great people, that cannot be numbered nor counted for multitude.

1Kings 3:9
Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?

Here's what Solomon shows us as the steps to getting God's wisdom. First, you humbly admit your ignorance and your powerlessness even if you're number one where you are. Secondly, you acknowledge, as Solomon did, that everything and everyone in this situation is God's, thirdly, desperately seek His wisdom. So often entangled in trying to figure things out; we're so overwhelmed by trying to decide, we neglect to go to God humbly for His wisdom. He's promised He'll give it if we ask in faith believing. There's that word "ASK" again! What and how are you asking?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment