Friday, October 22, 2010

Characteristic

Qualities Webster says it means
peculiar and essential character
could that mean the many CHARACTERISTICS we possess? I was reading in Proverbs chapter 16 when the Lord pointed some things out to me. They were PRIDE, A HUMBLE SPIRIT, WISE HEART, UNDERSTANDING and PLEASANT WORDS. Then I asked myself are the characteristics in me? Do I exhibit them in my daily life? If someone were to ask those I work with, go to Church with or my friends if I displayed any of these characteristics I wonder what would be their answer. I have said before about another that they were strange and I don’t understand them. But was I the strange one and they were the one that couldn’t understand me? To be honest I really don’t want to be proud because the Lord says He hates it
Proverbs 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: Look at number one the very first one out of the seven!
Proverbs 6:17 A proud look, Oh no! Does pride ever pop up in my life? Let’s see; a group of people go hunting, fishing or whatever kind of trip and I kill the biggest or I catch the biggest fish how do I respond? Have I, do I or will I say something like this...Yes we all went but I was the only one or I was the one who; is that not pride rising its ugly head. In Proverbs 16 and in verse 18 we read these words Pride goeth before destruction, I must watch out for such an attitude as that because I don’t want to leave hurt feelings behind and I don’t want others to think that I have an arrogant attitude. Then there’s that humble spirit not proud or haughty not arrogant. So I can’t be humble if I am arrogant. I think verses 21 & 23 sum it up for me. In those verses we are told about a wise heart. I think we all would like to have a wise heart; read these verses:
Proverbs 16:21 The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.
Proverbs 16:22 Understanding is a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.
Proverbs 16:23 The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips.
I see two things that a wise heart does. #1- A wise heart understands. #2- A wise heart teaches. That’s not all I see in verse 24 we read Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. Pleasant Words! Now I have to ask myself are the words I use in the presence of others sweet, kind, encouraging words or are they words of destruction, dysfunctional, disheartening? In my vocabulary are there words that will build up or tear down. As I read this chapter I had to stop and when I did I asked the Lord to let me pay attention to my actions and my words today and see if I have some or any of these qualities in my life. My prayer today as well as for this weekend is that you would pray on my behalf that God would show me and help me become strong where I am weak. Thanks and have a great weekend and we will meet again on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment