Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Why Not Quit

Many are looking ahead to the day that they retire; nothing wrong with that unless their plan is on quitting. There is too much to get done just to have thoughts of I have done all I can do and it’s time for me to quit! I read something the other day that encouraged me greatly. It was something Thomas Edison said; get ready and read carefully what he said. A fire broke out at the West Orange laboratory in 1914, destroying 13 buildings. Although the loss was great, Edison remarked: "I am 67; but I'm not too old to make a fresh start. I've been through a lot of things like this. It prevents a man from being afflicted with feeling of weariness and dissatisfaction." Edison spearheaded the rebuilding of the lot. Wow 67 years old and he’s not ready to quit. Let me ask you a question did he make a difference in the way you and I live today? He sure did and he had an attitude of its not quitting time it’s time to get going. I hear the word quit too much. In 1955 at the age of 65 Harland’s store failed because of a new interstate hwy that reduced his restaurant’s customer traffic. Why not quit Harland you are 65 years old and your first social security check will soon be here; why not sit back and take it easy. But that was not to happen for Harland took $105 from his first Social Security check and stared visiting potential franchises. He meet up with Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy’s and offered him a chance to turn around a failing business. Dave helped Harland save the restaurant by simplifying the menu. I had lunch in one of Harland’s restaurants the other day you may know the restaurant better by its name KFC. I am glad Colonel Sanders didn’t quit. Thomas Edison and Colonel Sanders didn’t know what the outcome would be they just knew they were not quitters. In 2Timothy chapter 4 and verse 10 we read For Demas hath forsaken me, why in the world did Demas abandon the Apostle Paul? The verse goes on to tell us that he was in love. Having loved this present world, he fell in love with the present world and went to the city of Thessalonica. In other words he quit the ministry. The bright lights and the sounds drew him away and he quit what he had gotten so much enjoyment out of before. I don’t know about you but I don’t see quitting in the future at all. There is so much to get done and the workers are so few. Too many are listening for their name to me mentioned and looking for a pat on the back, nothing wrong with that as long as that’s not why you are doing what you’re doing because if it is you will be done when it’s over; you’ll be in the long line of quitters. I’ll never forget the words of my good friend Edgar Thomas in 2002 as I stood in his living room in Gainesville, GA. He had lost so much weight that he had to hold his pants up. He told me he had another good 20 years left to preach. But we buried him on November 29 that year. What was my good friend saying? He was simply saying there is no place or time to quit. I hope you’re not a quitter for anyone can do that! Oh by the way Harland didn’t die until he was 90 years old and Edison, well he was 84 and my friend Edgar Thomas was 78, could it be that these men kept busy and chose not to quit?

No comments:

Post a Comment